Artist Tracey Emin had an operation this summer after a cancerous tumour was found in her bladder, she has said.
Emin, 57, was diagnosed in the spring, had surgery two months ago and is now in remission, she told Artnet .
And she told The Times : “It was squamous cell cancer, which means it’s really rapid, really aggressive. It’s known as bad cancer.”
Emin was nominated for the Turner Prize in 1999 and is one of Britain’s best-known and most celebrated artists.
Artnet said she had been working on a semi-abstract painting early in lockdown that had been “keeping her up at night”. Only after her diagnosis did she realise it resembled her bladder.
“It’s exactly the same as my bladder with the tumour in it, before I knew I had the cancer – it’s brilliant!” she said.
But she said she was currently too weak to return to making art. “Yesterday, I was crying because I wanted to paint and I didn’t have the energy to do it,” she said.
In March she posted a video on Instagram in which she said she had not been in her studio because she had been unwell.
What is bladder cancer?
- About 10,000 people are diagnosed every year and it’s the tenth most common cancer in the UK, according to the NHS
- It is more common in older adults, and in men
- The most common symptom is blood in urine – and while most people with blood in their urine won’t have bladder cancer, it’s important to get checked
- Some people are treated by having the tumour removed and having chemotherapy or immunotherapy drugs
- Some require a cystectomy – in women this involves removing the bladder, urethra, ovaries, uterus and the upper part of the vagina
Emin, who is based in Margate, Kent, is known for such installations as her unmade bed and the tent Everyone I Have Ever Slept With.
An exhibition of her work is due to open in Brussels on Friday, and her recent paintings will be shown at the Royal Academy in London from 15 November alongside works she has chosen by Edvard Munch.
Artnet said Emin’s operation involved removing many of her reproductive organs. She told the website she had “half my body chopped out, including half my vagina”.
- Is YOUR relationship being sabotaged by your BFF? Tracey Cox reveals the seven tell-tale signs they have their own interests at heart - from dishing out unwanted advice to 'joking' about fancying your other half
- Artist Tracey Emin says she was spooked by ghost of scream painter Edvard Munch
- COVID-19 Creating A Cancer Crisis As Patients Delay Screenings For Early Detection
- Vladimir Putin 'underwent surgery for cancer in February' claims political analyst who also said the Russian leader had Parkinson's disease
- Woman, 31, who was given a year to live due to rare form of cancer that had spread to her lungs, liver and bones, reveals she was able to marry her boyfriend after 'miracle operation' added 10 years to her life
- 'I was walking around with skin cancer on my leg': Molly-Mae Hague breaks down as doctors reveal the mole she had removed was cancerous
- Today's Al Roker inundated with support after sharing new post following prostate cancer surgery
- Olympic hero Kriss Akabusi reveals bowel cancer battle and colon surgery hell after appearance on Sky News saved life
- I kissed Lynn, held her hand and said 'Thank you for our wonderful life together': John Stapleton reveals grief in first interview since the death of his wife, who gave voice to the powerless
- Jessica Knowles continues to raise awareness for cervical cancer as she reveals ongoing treatment
- Deborah James’ heartbreak as Sun columnist reveals her cancer has returned
- Michael Clarke reveals he underwent surgery to remove skin cancer
- Putin is battling CANCER as well as Parkinson’s and had emergency surgery in February, source claims
- How I became a cult leader's 14th wife: She grew up in the Surrey stockbroker belt then worked in advertising. But as Kelly reveals in a jaw-dropping new book, a chance meeting with a Native American guru changed her life
- Deborah James’ heartbreak as Sun columnist and You Me & Big C podcast star reveals her cancer has returned
- Cancer patient with staggering surgery delay due to Covid pens heartbreaking final letter to son
- Schools are to blame for more than a thousand outbreaks of coronavirus since they reopened in September, SAGE documents reveal
- Almost 250,000 women are overdue cervical smear tests this year due to Covid-19 pandemic, NHS figures show amid fears of ticking cancer time-bomb
- Nearly 27MILLION GP appointments in England 'were lost to the Covid-19 pandemic' fuelling fears of a ticking time-bomb of cancer deaths
- Home and Away actor Johnny Ruffo says brain cancer has returned following a 'week of seizures'
Tracey Emin reveals she has had cancer operation have 859 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at October 28, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.