They also look set to miss out on Ousmane Dembele but there are still other wide options on the table.
Despite the window slamming shut at 11pm tonight, clubs will still be able to do business with domestic clubs up until 5pm on October 16.
As a result, there a number of other options United can look at as alternatives to Sancho on that right wing, with the Manchester Evening News claiming Said Benrahma, Emiliano Buendia, Ismaila Sarr and David Brooks could all be explored.
All four players have been linked with moves away in the window and both Sarr and Brooks have been on their radar.
However, club legend Gary Neville believes the fact United have missed out on top target Sancho to be indicative of a ‘repetitive cycle’ , where the club fails to back the manager in the transfer window.
“This is almost a repetitive cycle,” said Neville. “We saw it with Louis van Gaal when he won a cup final and the club pulled out on him just as he was building a half decent squad and team.
“With Jose Mourinho they backed out on him in that transfer window a couple of seasons ago having given him a contract.
“I just feel Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did achieve the maximum with these players but getting them to third, there was no way he was going to get to the level of Liverpool or Manchester City.
“I thought Jose was playing a game a few years ago when he said it was an unbelievable achievement finishing second with that squad, but on reflection he is probably right.
Don’t miss a thing with our football updates!
Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?
Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don’t miss a thing.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit ‘subscribe’.
And that’s it, job done. You’ll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.
You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.
“It was good United finished third last season, they were on the shoulders of Liverpool and City, but they needed to make sure they got closer. City have spent £150m and Liverpool have strengthened with Thiago and Jota.
“They have pulled away psychologically before the season even started, and the psychological damage of not bringing players in is hamper the current squad. The club's job is to build a title-winning team, those are the standards for Manchester United.”
- Marcelo Bielsa wants Leeds board to seal Man Utd signing he targeted two years ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo WASN’T Man Utd’s top signing of a transfer window that was surprisingly good even without a midfielder
- Transfer Deadline Day: What every Premier League club must do before summer transfer window closes
- Man Utd transfer chief John Murtough only signed Cristiano Ronaldo ‘because of Man City’
- Liverpool's next transfer priority is clear as Reds need to copy Man Utd approach
- Dan James to Leeds would force Marcelo Bielsa into late transfer deadline day call
- Man Utd's joyous Cristiano Ronaldo return papers over key transfer failing
- Man Utd suffer Jadon Sancho injury setback days after full debut
- Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 'blocked late Donny van de Beek loan move' to Everton
- What Man Utd told Dan James after Wolves win before £30m Leeds transfer bid
- Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo number 7 shirt CONFIRMED, Jadon Sancho injured on England duty
- Man Utd's frightening XI if Saul Niguez joins with Atletico Madrid transfer 'imminent'
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer already has priority Man Utd transfer earmarked for next year
- How Man Utd could line up if they complete two big deadline day moves
- Transfer news LIVE: Erling Haaland updates, Wilshere denied Como switch, Saul Niguez first Chelsea training session
- Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo celebration a ‘welcome gift’ from Jesse Lingard, Pogba keen on Real Madrid
- Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo debut could be DELAYED, Pogba ‘keen on Real Madrid’, Sancho injury latest
- Jadon Sancho to Man Utd: Why the Borussia Dortmund winger was their No 1 transfer target this summer
- Cristiano Ronaldo unsure what Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 'expects' after huge Man Utd transfer
- Man Utd handed Jadon Sancho boost ahead of Newcastle clash after England withdrawal
Four wingers Man Utd can still sign after Transfer Deadline Day after missing Jadon Sancho have 770 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at October 5, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.