Donald Trump’s positive Covid-19 diagnosis makes him one of more than a dozen world leaders and high-profile politicians to have contracted the virus. The US president announced early on Friday, just one month before the election, that he and the first lady, Melania, had contracted the virus, following reports that one of his closest advisers, Hope Hicks, had also tested positive. Hicks had accompanied him to the debate with Joe Biden on Tuesday and a campaign rally on Wednesday. Trump, who has repeatedly mocked his Democratic opponent for wearing masks, is not the first major elected official to become infected after downplaying the seriousness of the virus. On 27 March, the British prime minister, Boris Johnson, became one of the first world leaders to announce he had the virus. He was eventually admitted to hospital and treated in the intensive care unit. Before his diagnosis, he was criticised for understating the threat of the virus and at one point early in the outbreak he boasted of shaking hands “with everybody” at a hospital with Covid patients. On 7 July, Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, who had repeatedly trivialised the pandemic, announced on live television he had tested positive. As the… Read full this story
- Donald Trump Mocked by French World Cup Winner After President Tweets to 'Make France Great Again'
- Donald Trump Building New Liberal World Order Despite Global Critics, Mike Pompeo Declares
- Trump at odds with world leaders on migration and climate change at G-20 summit
- Donald Trump Says He Saved World From 'Big Fat War in Asia' by Talking to North Korea's Kim Jong Un
- Donald Trump Drew Up List of Enemies With a Sharpie—'We’re Going to Get Rid of All the Snakes,' Book Claims
- EDITORIAL: Donald Trump joins the fight, we hope, to end draconian prison sentences
- California joins growing list of mass shootings in U.S.
- Trump largely alone as world leaders take aim at nationalism
- Donald Trump Building New Liberal World Order Despite Global Critics_ Mike Pompeo Declares
- Untapped Potential: Oklahoma looking to join growing list of states with all-girl divisions in wrestling
Donald Trump joins growing list of world leaders to contract Covid have 351 words, post on www.theguardian.com at October 2, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.