The Eat Out to Help Out scheme caused a “significant” rise in new coronavirus infections, a new study suggests.According to the University of Warwick, the sharp increase in COVID-19 infection clusters emerged a week after the scheme began.The government’s initiative was designed to boost the economy after the national lockdown, and allowed pubs and restaurants to offer heavily discounted meals on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in August. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Has Eat Out to Help Out saved jobs? Research from the university suggests that between 8% and 17% of newly detected infection clusters can be linked to the scheme.Areas where there was a high uptake of Eat Out to Help Out also saw a decline in new infections a week after the scheme drew to a close. Advertisement Places that experienced high rainfall around lunch and dinnertime ended up seeing lower infection rates than areas that enjoyed nicer weather.Restaurants that participated in Eat Out to Help Out saw an increase in visits of between 10% and 200% compared with the same period in 2019 – but academics concluded that the economic benefits of the scheme were short lived. More from Covid-19 Coronavirus: What… Read full this story
- Trisha Goddard, 61, reveals she had fillers after her face 'fell in' as a result of chemotherapy during cancer battle
- You DON'T need to cut out red meat: Scientists say official advice on eating less beef, pork and lamb is based on bad evidence and having it four times a week poses 'NO cancer risk'
- Impact Person of the Week: Week 5
- Girl, eight, wrongly told she had a nut allergy 'was left fighting for her life in hospital after doctors failed to spot she had toxic shock syndrome'
- UFC and The Center fight HIV
- Fantasy Baseball Injury Report Analysis: Harvey, Pollock, Brantley
- The night Lane Kiffin bolted Tennessee, an oral history
- NFL Week 11 rundown
- Mental health issues a huge challenge for NCAA in regard to student-athletes
- Hughes, Miocic and Eye takeover Cleveland
Coronavirus: Revealed - the impact Eat Out to Help Out had on infection rates have 326 words, post on news.sky.com at October 30, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.