Former football coach and serial paedophile Barry Bennell has been sentenced to another four years in prison for further sexual offences against boys.
Bennell, 66, is already serving a 30-year sentence at HMP Littlehey in Cambridgeshire after being found guilty of 52 child sex offences in 2018.
The former Crewe Alexandra coach, who is also known by the name Richard Jones, appeared via videolink from prison on Thursday after pleading guilty to three counts of buggery and six counts of indecent assault at an earlier hearing.
The offences were carried out against two boys between 1979 and 1988 when the victims were aged between 11 and 14.
Sentencing him to his fifth jail term at Chester Crown Court, Judge Patrick Thompson said: “You had a respected position as a football coach for professional football clubs including Crewe Alexandra, Manchester City and Stoke City.
“It was a position you grossly abused in order to use those boys as your sexual playthings.
“These were children whose parents trusted and respected you, when you were in fact a parent’s worst nightmare.”
More from UK
COVID-19: ‘Around a million people’ isolating due to coronavirus in UK as testing rules set to be relaxed
COVID-19: 17 hospitals in Greater Manchester pause non-urgent surgeries as cases surge
COVID news live: Testing rules expected to be relaxed – as Boris Johnson and Sajid Javid to face questions over pandemic handling
The judge gave Bennell an additional four years in prison and an additional year on licence, making his total jail sentence 34 years with a further two on licence.
The court heard how the former football coach abused the victims while they were staying at his homes in Crewe and Furness Vale, Derbyshire, as well as at a children’s home in Taxal Edge.
In a victim impact statement, one of them said he had given up football after suffering a panic attack while playing for his national team.
He told the court: “Bennell ruined my boyhood dreams and took that away from me.”
The sentencing hearing was told the 66-year-old has a detached retina after being attacked in prison and is in remission from cancer.
Defending, Eleanor Laws QC said Bennell had already been sentenced to a total of 49 years and been told by a previous judge – Clement Goldstone QC – that he “may well die in prison”.
He underwent an “intensive rehabilitation programme” while in prison in America and has not offended for 25 years, she added.
The Offside Trust, a charity that helps victims of sexual abuse in sport, said in a statement outside court: “We are delighted that more survivors have seen justice today.
“The sentence is to be welcomed and is a reminder of the horrific nature of what these men and so many others have lived through.”
Bennell was first jailed in Florida in 1994 for raping a British boy on a football tour in the US, before going on to face prison sentences back in the UK in 1998, 2015, 2018 and 2020.
It is believed he may have more than 100 victims, as 86 complainants came forward to say they were abused by him following his last trial.
- Vile paedophile priest dies of a heart attack just weeks before he was due to be sentenced for abusing six young boys
- Alleged Sexual Offence: 3 of 5 UNILAG undergraduates absence in court stalls trial
- Bill Cosby led away in handcuffs after being jailed for up to 10 years for sexual assault
- Man Who Identifies as Woman Sentenced to Prison for Recording Women in Target Fitting Room
- Death sentence for rape-murder in 2019 highest in 4 years: NLU report
- Man executed 15 years after wife’s brutal murder
- Neo-Nazi, 23, who plotted to kill a Labour MP with a machete is unmasked as a convicted paedophile who groomed boys as young as 13 after jury fails to reach a verdict in his National Action trial
- Mom-of-three teacher, 26, serving a four-year sentence for having sex with her 16-year-old student begs judge for early release from prison
- Muzaffarpur Shelter Home case: Brajesh Thakur, 18 others convicted; sentencing on Jan 28 at 11 am
- Coach charged with sex crime avoids prison time in plea deal
- San Rafael Accountant, Ex-Boy Scouts Volunteer Gets Prison For Child Porn Possession
- Egyptian sexual harassment activist Amal Fathy released
- Police receive powerful anti-stalking powers with offenders facing five-year jail terms for breaching new court orders introduced tomorrow
- Unnao rape case: Kuldeep Sengar moves Delhi HC against conviction, life sentence
- McDonald’s manager sentenced to decade in jail after being found guilty of rape
- Man gets five years for assaulting eight-year-old neighbour
- Manhunt underway for inmate accused of killing prison worker and escaping on tractor in Tennessee
- VBA leader Abdul Rehman Anjaria booked under PSOCO for molesting 17-year-old boy
- Murdered Jack Merritt's devastated girlfriend is comforted by his parents as they arrive at vigil to honour the 25-year-old and his fellow Cambridge student Saskia Jones, 23, after father attacks Boris for playing politics
- Paedophile priest, 80, who sexually abused 27 young boys wants shorter sentence because he was 'hit over the head with a loaf of bread' in prison
Barry Bennell sentenced to another four years in prison for sexual offences against boys have 809 words, post on news.sky.com at October 8, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.