Whitehall has been “infantilised” by an “unacceptable” reliance on expensive management consultants, a government minister has claimed in a leaked letter. Lord Agnew, the Cabinet Office and Treasury minister, wrote to senior civil servants two weeks ago demanding they rein in spiralling costs paid to private firms and stop “depriving our brightest [public servants] of opportunities to work on some of the most challenging, fulfilling and crunchy issues”. A close ally of the chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster, Michael Gove, and a supporter of Brexit, Agnew also admits that spending on consultants has risen in part because the UK is leaving the EU. Official data shows that, after the 2016 Brexit vote, government spending on consultancy firms increased rapidly to approximately £1bn, and to more than £1.5bn in 2017-18. The letter has emerged amid concerns over the cost of hiring experts from the private sector to assist civil servants dealing with the challenges of coronavirus and Brexit. At the same time, Gove and Boris Johnson’s chief aide, Dominic Cummings, are seeking to push through changes in the civil service after recruiting allies to key roles in the Cabinet Office. Agnew’s letter cites a failure to develop the right skills… Read full this story
- Samjhauta Express reaches Attari after Pak minister claimed services suspended
- NRL wag Taylor Winterstein cancels anti-vaccination seminars as minister claims she could 'wipe out the population of Samoa' with her bogus claims
- UAE Wants to Become ‘Second Israel’, Iran’s Foreign Minister Claims
- Jack Whitehall says he’s horrified after claiming ‘couple were kicked out of theatre audience for having sex’ as he filmed Christmas special with his dad
- Who is Jack Whitehall’s dad Michael, how old is he and is he married?
- Jack Whitehall is replacing Graham Norton on his talk show tonight – here’s why and whether he’ll be touring in 2019
- AGR verdict will not affect telecom sector; Airtel, Voda Idea can pay the money: Reliance Jio tells Centre
- Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman to address press conference on state of economy
- Reliance Jio vs Airtel: Why operators are fighting over interconnect usage charges
- Jack Whitehall ordered to act ‘more relatable’ as bosses fear landing Hollywood roles is losing him fans
Whitehall 'infantilised' by reliance on consultants, minister claims have 370 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 29, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.