The Victorian government is aiming to not only host the Boxing Day Test and Australian Open, but for crowds to attend both sporting events. Victoria has been devoid of live sport during a winter of Covid-19 discontent, but as case numbers continue to drop there is growing hope for the two jewels in the city’s summer sporting calendar. Cricket Australia is in the final stages of finalising tweaks to its 2020-21 schedule and the growing expectation is the MCG will remain host of the Boxing Day Test between Australia and India, with Adelaide Oval to serve as CA’s back-up plan. Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tiley indicated last week he is hopeful that Melbourne Park would have crowds of some description during its grand slam, and on Monday premier Daniel Andrews suggested his government was aiming for crowds to attend the Boxing Day Test and Australian Open. “We are having detailed discussions with … cricket authorities, the MCC, the whole AO team,” Andrews said. “We just have to work out what a safe crowd would be. It is too hard to say now what that number is. “It is too early to determine whether they will have crowds. It is… Read full this story
- My Sporting Life: Grabyo boss Gareth Capon on being raised by a rugby-mad mum, the Boxing Day Test and Harlequins
- Black Caps to play Aust in Boxing Day Test
- Nadal, absent since Australian Open, in Davis Cup comeback
- Boxing Day run cash handed over
- Open Championship Day Three LIVE: Rory McIlroy looks to continue charge up the leaderboard
- Open Championship Day Three: McIlroy looks to continue charge while Woods and Spieth surge up leaderboard
- The Open Championship Day Two LIVE: Rory McIlroy out early as he looks to put pressure on leaders
- The Open Championship Day Two LIVE: Rory McIlroy puts pressure on leaders with solid start to second round
- What questions should buyers ask at an open house day?
- Open gardens day planned for Honing
Victorian government aims for crowds at Australian Open and Boxing Day Test have 331 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 14, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.