Washington — President Trump turned his attacks from former Vice President Joe Biden to his Democratic opponent’s son Hunter Biden , invoking his issues with substance abuse and position on the board of the Ukrainian energy company Burisma, which was the subject of a recently concluded investigation by Senate Republicans.
In one of the most contentious exchanges of a bruising first presidential debate, Biden criticized Mr. Trump for claims that were in a report in The Atlantic that he called fallen members of the military “losers” and suckers.”
“My son was in Iraq, he spent a year there. He got the Bronze Star, he got the Conspicuous Service Medal,” Biden said of his late son, Beau Biden. “He was not a loser. He was a patriot, and the people left behind there were heroes.”
Mr. Trump interrupted the former vice president, saying, “are you talking about Hunter?” Biden said “I’m talking about my son, Beau Biden.”
Mr. Trump interrupted again, saying “I don’t know Beau, I know Hunter.” Beau Biden died from a brain tumor in 2015, when Biden was vice president.
The president then pivoted to claiming without evidence that Hunter Biden was dishonorably discharged from the military and “made a fortune” in Ukraine and Russia.
Biden refuted Mr. Trump’s claims about Hunter Biden but acknowledged his son had issues with drugs.
“He’s fixed it, he’s worked on it,” the former vice president said. “I’m proud of him. I’m proud of my son.”
Hunter Biden’s tenure on the board of Burisma was the subject of a yearlong investigation mounted by a pair of Republican-led Senate committees and is frequently cited by Mr. Trump as evidence of alleged wrongdoing by Democrats and the Bidens.
A report from the two committees released last week found that while Hunter Biden’s position on Burisma’s board was “problematic” and created a potential conflict of interest, “the extent to which Hunter Biden’s role on Burisma’s board affected U.S. policy toward Ukraine is not clear. ”
- 2020 Poll: Trump Beating Everyone but Joe Biden
- ‘Borat’ comedian Sacha Baron Cohen seems to be taking aim at Trump with a new project
- Memo shows Trump prodded Ukraine to probe Biden
- Trump says Biden accusations are work of Dem ‘socialists’
- Trump Says He Would ‘Love’ to Fight ‘Mr. Tough Guy’ Biden
- Donald Trump Says Only The Rich Should Manage Economy: ‘I Just Don’t Want a Poor Person’
- ‘I Don’t Know About It’: Trump Says He’s Unaware of Reports That Flynn Discussed Sanctions With Russia
- WSJ: Trump Asked Ukraine’s President to Probe Hunter Biden
- Donald Trump Authorizes Release of Ukraine Phone Call Transcript
- Donald Trump: Joe Biden ‘Choked’ in 2020 Democrat Primary
- Seth Meyers Mocks Trump With Fake Independence Day Video
- Netflix Teams with Steve Carrell to Mock Trump’s Space Force
- Career Politician: Joe Biden Breaking 2015 Pledge to Never to Run for Any Political Office Ever Again
- Joe Biden Uses Ukraine Allegations to Fundraise
- Joe Biden says age a 'totally legitimate' question if he were to run for office again
- Joe Biden: Trump’s Ukraine Call Is ‘a Tragedy for this Country’
- Early Democrat Polls Favor Joe Biden for 2020; Senate Colleagues Skeptical
- Joe Biden to Campaign as Barack Obama’s Third Term
- Joe Biden: Trump Supporters Are ‘Virulent,’ ‘Dregs of Society’
- Cher Warns Biden: ‘Women Are the Future, Don’t F**K with Us’
Trump says "I don't know Beau" Biden while taking aim at Hunter Biden have 553 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at September 30, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.