Meghan Markle: Piers Morgan slams couple for ‘keeping titles’
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Readers voted in our poll on whether the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should stop using their titles if they want to move into showbiz. A huge 98 percent of respondents said yes, while just two percent replied no.
Commenting on the poll, one reader said: "No question. They have abandoned the Royal Family AND the UK, AND Britons in general.
"They should be immediately and permanently just be ‘normals’ – which is what they wanted anyway."
Another fumed: "They have already cashed in on who they are but the titles should still go…"
A third wrote: "To be, or not to be…royal. They chose not to be royal. They chose to do definitely un-royal things. So they should drop the titles."
Meghan & Harry should drop their royal titles if they want a celebrity lifestyle – Express poll (Image: GETTY)
Readers voted in our poll on whether the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should stop using their titles if they want to move into showbiz (Image: APESTER)
Another blasted: "Forget 'dropping' titles, they should be taken from them."
A fifth added: "What is it that Netflix have paid these two for (beyond their titles?) what expertise or qualifications do either of them hold in which to 'educate' the Netflix subscriber with? Beyond that of say, Joe Public paid 0.1 percent of these two?"
One more said: "I genuinely wish them all the best in their ventures, just drop the titles and stop appearing as though they are cashing in on the Royal status."
The exclusive Express.co.uk poll comes as Meghan, 39, and Harry, 35, are starting a new life in the US after ending royal duties.
A huge 98 percent of respondents said yes, while just two percent replied no (Image: GETTY)
The Queen's grandson and the former actress plunged the monarchy into a period of crisis in January when they revealed plans to step back as senior royals.
It was later announced they would quit as working members of the Royal Family and no longer be known as HRH.
The Sussexes have recently bought an £11 million home in celebrity hotspot Santa Barbara as they pursue a life of personal and financial freedom away from the monarchy.
On Monday it was confirmed the couple has paid back the £2.4 million of taxpayers' money used to renovate their UK home Frogmore Cottage.
DON’T MISS Meghan Markle and Harry fans FURY: Sussexes ‘owe taxpayers NOTHING’ [INSIGHT] India Willoughby claims 'Meghan Markle will want revenge' [VIDEO] Prince Harry and Meghan Markle accused of ‘exploiting’ Royal Family [ANALYSIS]
Meghan and Harry are starting a new life in the US after ending royal duties (Image: GETTY)
The Queen's grandson and the former actress plunged the monarchy into a period of crisis in January when they revealed plans to step back as senior royals (Image: GETTY)
A royal source said they are also no longer receiving financial support from Prince Charles.
This comes after the Queen's grandson and the ex-Suits star signed a lucrative deal with Netflix to make shows for the streaming service.
Harry and Meghan said in a statement: “Our lives, both independent of each other, and as a couple have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience, and the need for connection.
“Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.
The Sussexes have recently bought an £11 million home in celebrity hotspot Santa Barbara as they pursue a life of personal and financial freedom away from the monarchy (Image: GETTY)
“As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us, as is powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens.”
Good Morning Britain presenter Piers Morgan has called for the couple to give up their "commercially beneficial" royal titles.
He tweeted: “Great news that Harry & Meghan have repaid the Frogmore Cottage costs out of their Netflix millions & will also no longer be taking Charles's cash.
“Now, if they just give up their very commercially beneficial royal Duke & Duchess titles, they can do & say whatever they like…”
Express.co.uk polled 5,463 people on September 8.
- Meghan Markle and Harry's Canada move 'under discussion' says Justin Trudeau
- Meghan Markle releases images of animal shelter visit following paparazzi photo row
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's thank you card to fans is just STUNNING – see it here
- Meghan Markle's dad cried as he watched Prince Charles walk her down aisle in his place
- Meghan Markle has had 'every girl's dream and tossed it away' says dad Thomas
- Meghan Markle's dad says being reunited with his daughter is his last wish
- Suits star Gabriel Macht, Jacinda Barrett open their Australian home to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle slams advert campaign poking fun at their 'part-time royal' role
- Inside Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s New War on the Media
- Harry and Meghan Markle's £1million protection bill could triple after Canada move
- How Kate Middleton stole the fashion crown from Meghan Markle – and the ways you can copy her style
- The day Harry and Meghan officially checked out of royal family
- Netizens Discover US Mother of Two Who Uncannily Resembles Prince Harry's Wife Meghan Markle
- Prince William gets promotion from the Queen days after Harry quits royal life
- The Royal deal is good for everyone, except for Prince Harry
- See How Meghan Markle Honored Princess Diana When She Arrived in South Africa with Baby Archie!
- Prince Harry Has "Suffered a Lot" and Is Trying to Protect Meghan Markle and Archie, Friend Says
- Meghan Markle's Friend Took Her Sweet Family Christmas Card Photo with Prince Harry and Archie
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Join the Queen for the Christening of Zara Tindall's Daughter
- Inside Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's 'Spectacular' Northern Lights Getaway (in the Freezing Cold!)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry should DROP royal titles - ‘They chose not to be royal!' have 1159 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 8, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.