Meghan Markle and Harry: Expert on family impact of Netflix deal
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Meghan Markle , 39, and Prince Harry , 35, moved to LA after announcing they would be stepping down as senior royals in January and completing their final duties in March. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have since signed a Netflix deal which could see them earn more than $250million (£190million) under their agreement. But royal correspondent Duncan Larcombe said the contract will make it “impossible” for the royal couple to return.
Speaking to True Royalty TV, Mr Larcombe said: “I think the Netflix deal and the news of that is by far the biggest development in the process of Harry and Meghan severing their ties with the British Royal Family.
“Now that they’ve signed that they’ve got financial independence, they’ve got everything that they were striving for when they left the UK, the world they dreamed of.
“With those ties now it’s inconceivable that Harry and Meghan will come back to the UK in the next five years and will very possibly make it impossible for them to return as members of the Royal Family.”
With the new deal, the Duke of Sussex has paid back the £2.4million of taxpayers’ money used to renovate Frogmore Cottage.
Meghan Markle and Harry have signed a deal which has made it ‘impossible’ to return , says expert (Image: GETTY)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry at their final royal engagement together (Image: WIREIMAGE)
A spokesman for Harry confirmed the Duke had paid the bill in full by making a contribution to the Sovereign Grant.
The payment was made possible thanks to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new multi-million pound Netflix deal, a source said.
Harry’s spokesman said: “A contribution has been made to the Sovereign Grant by the Duke of Sussex.
“This contribution as originally offered by Prince Harry has fully covered the necessary renovation costs of Frogmore Cottage, a property of Her Majesty The Queen, and will remain the UK residence of the Duke and his family.”
Meghan Markle and Harry have since moved to LA (Image: SPLASH)
Meghan Markle retained title due to Diana claims GMB guest
Last year’s royal accounts showed the cost of the renovations – paid for from taxpayers’ money – was £2.4million.
Harry and Meghan are now fully financially independent and they view the payment as “another significant step in their new life”, according to an insider.
“There was never any request from the Queen nor the Crown Estate to repay this but it was something they wanted to do,” the source said.
Kate and Meghan Markle exposed as final royal duty forced Duchess out [INTERVIEW] Meghan Markle fury: Duchess’s extravagant lifestyle defended [VIDEO] Prince Harry losing royal status to become celebrity with Meghan [INSIGHT]
Line of succession (Image: EXPRESS)
“It was important to them that they did not want to be seen to be drawing on the taxpayer.”
The decision was also aimed at removing “tabloid expectation that they were fair game”.
Harry and Meghan are also no longer receiving financial support from the Prince of Wales, the source confirmed.
They had been paying the Frogmore Cottage bill back in installments – believed to be £18,000 a month which would have taken more than a decade – but the Netflix deal meant they could pay it back completely.
- How will Meghan Markle, Prince Harry and the British royal family spend New Year's Eve?
- Meghan and Prince Harry reveal Royal wedding plans
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle's wedding ‘to boost UK economy’
- Latest live reaction after white powder sent to Meghan and Prince Harry
- Meghan Markle joins Harry, William and Kate for Christmas Day service at Sandringham
- Meghan Markle follows Harry Kane and Thibaut Courtois on Twitter – despite fiancee Prince Harry supporting Arsenal
- Meghan Markle stuns as sexy Santa in old Deal or No Deal clips
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make first public appearance for 2018
- Movie on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's royal love story to come out soon
- Meghan Markle's relatives might be gatecrashing the Royal Wedding
- Priyanka Chopra to supposedly serve as Maid of Honour for Meghan Markle
- Who will Meghan Markle choose to design her wedding dress?
- Meghan Markle gets seal of approval from the royal family
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wow the crowds in Brixton
- Church has 'dealt with' Meghan Markle's divorce, Archbishop of Canterbury says
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wow Edinburgh crowds
- Pubs to stay open late for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding weekend
- Meghan Markle 'baptised by Archbishop of Canterbury in secret service'
- Is Meghan Markle being political in backing #metoo and #timesup?
- Meghan Markle baptised ahead of May 19 nuptial with Prince Harry
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have made it 'impossible' to return to UK with new US deal have 901 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 9, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.