Lebanon’s Information Minister Manal Abdel Samad resigned from her post on Sunday, marking the first resignation by a government minister since the massive explosion shook Beirut and prompted mass protests. Samad cited the failure of the government to carry out reforms and the catastrophic blast that hit Beirut on Tuesday, according to Lebanon’s Al Jadeed TV. Earlier in the week, the Ministry of Information had denied rumors of her impending resignation. She also apologized to the Lebanese public for “failing” them. “We did not live up to your expectations,” she said. Information Minister Manal Abdel Samad has resigned Read more: Opinion: Lebanon’s worst enemy is its own government Critics have blamed corruption and poor leadership at the heart of Lebanon’s government for the explosion. The blast killed more than 150 people, leaving 6,000 injured and some 300,000 homeless. Lebanon’s government has faced difficulties for some time and was already confronting an economic crisis before the explosion took place. Foreign Minister Nassif Hitti resigned on Monday, one day before the blast, blaming the government’s poor effort to pull the country out of its economic woes. Watch video 02:20 Share Beirut explodes in protests Send Facebook Twitter google+ Whatsapp Tumblr linkedin stumble Digg reddit Newsvine Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3ggX6… Read full this story
- Fraser Coast Mayor Chris Loft facing suspension by Local Government Minister
- Lebanon: Iran's embassy in Beirut hit by two explosions
- To represent govt, Pakistan law minister resigns
- Government accepts resignations of Jahnu Barua, Santosh Sivan and Pallavi Joshi as FTII members
- Why a top Government Minister wants you to boycott Coles
- Japan's foreign minister resigns over illegal donation
- Portugal: interior minister resigns after wildfires kill 100
- Mali prime minister resigns after Ogossagou massacre
- ‘RESIGN’: Portland Mayor Blasted For Oblivious Photo Of Him And His Wife
- Fadi Fawaz DENIES being shunned from George Michael's wake and blasts 'hateful lies'
Lebanon: Government minister resigns in wake of Beirut blast have 314 words, post on www.dw.com at September 8, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.