Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) treasurer Arun Dhumal on Wednesday (September 2) made it clear that the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 will take place as scheduled, i.e. from September 19 to November 10.
Doubts about the 2020 IPL had arisen after 13 members of the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) tested positive for Coronavirus last month, and that led to speculation that the tournament might be postponed, depending on the COVID-19 situation in the UAE.
However, Dhumal said that everything was fine now in the UAE and the event would take place as planned.
"They all [CSK members] have come negative now. And the IPL will take place as scheduled; there is no doubt about that. Don't worry, players are following the COVID-19 protocols and matches will be played without spectators. So, I don't think there will be any problem with that," Dhumal said.
The BCCI has also put on hold the release of the tournament schedule. Asked about it, the BCCI treasurer said the Board is in talks with the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB), "and hopefully the announcement will be made soon". "IPL Chairman Brijesh Patel is also there in the UAE and he is working on it. The ECB is helping us in all the way possible. Just hope for the best," he added.
It is also learnt that the BCCI could go for a change in the schedule it has reportedly prepared if it goes ahead with the already decided dates. In that case, the opening encounter of the tournament could be held between champions Mumbai Indians and the runners-up of 2018 edition, Sunrisers Hyderabad. It was expected the opening game would be between Mumbai Indians and 2019 runners-up CSK.
All eight teams have resumed training in the UAE, but CSK is yet to hit the ground running. They were quarantined after 13 members of the squad tested positive. They are likely to start training from September 4.
- IPL 2020: Little known facts: Kohli and Tendulkar's unique records, IPL the costliest league in the world for fans
- IPL 2020: UAE's Emirates Cricket Board confirms receiving official letter from BCCI
- IPL 2020: Brijesh Patel locks the September 19-November 8 window in UAE
- IPL 2020: BCCI Has Not Got Government Permissions as Yet, IPL GC Also ‘Uncertain'
- IPL 2020: Emirates Cricket Board looking to fill 30-50 percent of stadiums in UAE during event
- IPL 2020: Recap: When the IPL was played at UAE, South Africa
- Exclusive: IPL 2020: UAE ready to host IPL, waiting for official word from BCCI
- IPL 2020: Governing Council to meet within a week, plan is for full-fledged IPL: Brijesh Patel. With ICC cancelling the
- IPL 2020 in UAE: Past instances when the tournament was played outside India
- IPL 2020: KXIP co-owner Wadia says IPL this year will be most watched ever, calls for daily COVID testing
- IPL 2020: UAE to host IPL 13, Governing Council to meet within a week: Brijesh Patel
- IPL 2020 in UAE: Quick guide to must-know Covid 19 protocols in Emirates, BCCI's preparations
- IPL 2020: Need details to come through before making final decision on playing, says Williamson
- IPL 2020: Ex-Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali rubbishes Shoaib Akhtar's allegation that BCCI forced cancellation of T20 WC
- IPL 2020 Schedule Out: Suresh Raina to Rishabh Pant, How Indian Cricketers Are Preparing For IPL 13 in UAE Amid COVID-19 | WATCH VIDEO
- IPL 2020: Emirates confirms BCCI move to host IPL in UAE
- Rahul Dravid on BCCI's 'desperation' to host IPL 2020: It helps fund our junior and domestic cricket
- Kings XI Punjab co-owner Ness Wadia says IPL 2020 will be most watched ever
- IPL 2020: BCCI mulling to shift IPL Final date from November 8 to November 10: Report
- ICC postpones T20 World Cup, decks cleared for IPL 2020
IPL 2020: Will Tournament Take Place As Scheduled? Here's What BCCI Treasurer Has To Say have 586 words, post on www.cricketcountry.com at September 2, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.