Both Alexander Zverev and Dominic Thiem were playing for their first Grand Slam victory
Dominic Thiem defeated Alexander Zverev to win the 2020 U.S. Open men’s singles final on Sunday, marking his first Grand Slam victory.
It was a game of endurance as the four-hour match concluded in five sets at Arthur Ashe Stadium. Zverev took the first set 6-2 and the second 6-4 but Thiem won the third set 6-4 and the fourth 6-3.
It was the second deciding set tiebreak in a men’s final since the 2019 Wimbledon match when Novak Djokovic defeated Roger Federer.
Sunday’s match marked the tenth meeting between Zverev and Thiem.
Thiem, ranked second in the world among men’s tennis players, most recently reached the finals in the 2019 French Open and 2020 Australian Open, but ultimately lost.
The 27-year-old Austrian joked around with reporters ahead of the match, saying of his chances, “If I win I have my first. If not, I have to call Andy Murray (and ask) how it is with 0-4,” according to the U.S. Open website .
Thiem continued, reiterating, “[I'm] just going to go in fully focused, like in all the six previous matches. Well, the world continues no matter what the result is, so it’s going to be fine.”
Zverev, ranked fifth before the Sunday final, played Thiem in the semifinals back in the Australian Open. It was the furthest the 23-year-old German had ever made it in a Grand Slam tournament until the 2020 U.S. Open.
For the second time since 2003, Djokovic, Federer and Rafael Nadal were not the finalists.
Thiem is the first Austrian to win an Open. Had Zverev won, he would’ve been the first German to win the U.S. Open since Boris Becker did in 1989.
On Saturday, Naomi Osaka won the 2020 U.S. Open Women’s Singles final, defeating Victoria Azarenka 1-6, 6-3, 6-3.
The U.S. Open victory is Osaka’s third major title, having won the 2018 U.S. Open and 2019 Australian Open.
- BC-TEN--US Open-Men’s Final
- Rafael Nadal wins US Open men’s title
- Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo shouted ‘One chance, bang!’ as he opened Champions League final scoring against Juventus
- Rafael Nadal seeks 19th Grand Slam title at US Open
- Serena Williams breaks record for most Grand Slam match victories
- US Open: All-Italian final after Vinci cracks Williams' code
- Braun's grand slam lifts Brewers past Cardinals 7-6
- French Open: Novak Djokovic falls to Dominic Thiem, Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka through
- French Open 2017: Novak Djokovic loses to Dominic Thiem 7-6, 6-3, 6-0 in quarter-finals in Paris
- Healthy Nadal breezes through, Serena begins quest for 23rd Grand Slam
- Rafael Nadal stops Medvedev comeback bid to win US Open
- Injured Roger Federer pulls out of French Open, misses first grand slam since 1999
- Nadal wins another Open
- Serena begins her quest for a 24th Grand Slam at the U.S. Open
- Serena Williams gets another chance at Grand Slam history
- US Open: Juan Martin del Potro reaches last eight after Dominic Thiem retires injured in New York
- Milos Raonic beats Dominic Thiem to move into ATP World Tour semi-finals and potential Wimbledon rematch with Andy Murray
- German's Grand Slam Dream Over in Oz
- French Open: Williams wins 20th Grand Slam title
- Novak Djokovic: Serbian reacts angrily during win over Dominic Thiem despite employing help of new guru to spread ‘love and peace’
Dominic Thiem Wins 2020 U.S. Open Men's Singles Final, Scores First Grand Slam Victory have 644 words, post on people.com at September 13, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.