The number of people testing positive for coronavirus in England is now double the number recorded when the country’s Test and Trace system was launched at the end of May.Official figures show 18,371 new people tested positive for COVID-19 in England between 3 September and 9 September, a substantial increase of 167% compared with the end of August.Only a third of test kits came back within 24 hours during that period, contradicting a promise made by Boris Johnson that all tests would be done in a day by the end of June.The number of positive coronavirus cases has been rising nationwide since the start of July, according to the Department of Health and Social Care data.Test numbers increased by 27% in the most recent week compared with the previous week, after remaining at consistent levels between the end of July and the end of August, the new numbers reveal. Advertisement There has also been a 74% increase in the number of people referred to the Test and Trace service – three times as many than at the beginning of August.The numbers show that 82.6% of those people were reached and asked to provide information about their contacts.In total, 73.9% of… Read full this story
- Mystery over how a Kiwi family caught COVID-19 despite NOT going abroad and having no known contact with the virus - as New Zealand prepares to enter lockdown TODAY
- Coronavirus UK news LIVE: Preston heading into local lockdown after spike in Covid-19 cases amid France quarantine fears
- Coronavirus live updates: Bay Area’s death toll reaches 900 lives lost to COVID-19
- Coronavirus live updates: Growing number of kids infected with COVID-19, deadly inflammation
- Xinhua Headlines: Stronger coordination needed as COVID-19 pandemic tops 20 mln cases
- Global report: Covid risks 'generational catastrophe' warns UN; Latin America exceeds 5m cases
- White House officials on the defensive after Trump says he wanted testing slowed down
- Coronavirus: More councils develop own track & trace as government system not 'fit for purpose'
- Test and Trace system 'getting worse' as number of contacts reached in a week falls
- Up to 16 children and staff are told to self-isolate at home after Covid outbreak at nursery in locked-down Bury - but centre is allowed to stay open
Coronavirus: Weekly positive COVID-19 tests have doubled since Test and Trace was launched in May have 367 words, post on news.sky.com at September 17, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.