Scientists and health professionals have raised doubts about Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s “moonshot” plan for mass coronavirus testing in the UK.The PM hopes millions of Covid-19 tests – including some giving results within minutes – could be processed daily.But experts say there are issues with laboratory capacity for current tests, while the technology for more rapid tests “does not, as yet, exist”.The BMJ reports it has seen leaked memos that the plan could cost £100bn.Speaking after his announcement that gatherings in England are to be restricted to six people from Monday, Mr Johnson said the government was “working hard” to increase testing capacity to 500,000 tests a day by the end of October.And he said that “in the near future” he wanted to start using testing “to identify people who are negative – who don’t have coronavirus and who are not infectious – so we can allow them to behave in a more normal way, in the knowledge they cannot infect anyone else”.Mr Johnson added: “We believe that new types of test which are simple, quick and scalable will become available. They use swabs or saliva and can turn round results in 90 or even 20 minutes.”Crucially, it should be… Read full this story
- Brexit celebration: Boris Johnson reveals big plans for leave-night party
- Boris Johnson’s Government Plans to Debate Brexit Before Christmas - Report
- The Queen Can’t Stop Boris Johnson’s Brexit Plan, but the British People Might
- Boris Johnson's Brexit deal appears doomed as deadline looms
- Boris Johnson saves face over failed bid for Big Ben Brexit chime
- UK PM Boris Johnson Says a Clock Will Be Projected onto Number 10 on Brexit Day
- Boris Johnson plans to review the roles of all 41 elected police & crime commissioners
- Boris Johnson loses vote over post-Brexit citizens rights
- Boris Johnson slams Extinction Rebellion's 'nose-ringed crusties in hemp-smelling bivouacs' amid fury at police for failing to stop eco-mob shutting down swathes of London despite 321 arrests
- Liberal, nuanced, cautious: is this the real Boris Johnson?
Coronavirus: Concerns over Boris Johnson's 'moonshot' testing plans have 334 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at September 10, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.