THE 75th anniversary of VJ Day and the end of World War II is being celebrated today, August 15. It marks the day on which Imperial Japan surrendered to the allies in World War II, effectively ending the biggest conflict in human history. Here’s what we know about it. What is VJ Day? Victory over Japan marked the end of World War Two, after the US dropped nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. On August 6 and 9, 1945, the US launched the atomic bombs on the two areas of Japan, detonated with a force equivalent to 15,000 and 21,000 tonnes of conventional explosives. The Soviet Union also declared war on Japan on August 9, launching the soviet invasion of Manchuria on the same day that the second atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki. A colossal force of over 1.5 million men and thousands of pieces of military hardware swept south and invaded the Japanese puppet state of Manchuko alongside the Mongolians.As a result Emperor Hirohito announced Japan’s acceptance of the terms of the Potsdam Declaration on August 15 – which outlined the terms of the nation’s surrender. US President Harry S Truman declared the day as Victory over Japan Day at… Read full this story
- 2020 Nissan Titan XD Revealed With More Power, Red Badges
- UK weather forecast: Britain on track for hottest July day ever with 37C heat
- D-day 1944-2014: a standard for our times
- I hope Donald will come to Moscow's Victory Day military parade says Vladimir Putin after Trump said he would 'love' to commemorate end of WWII in Red Square
- Japan's economy nearly stalls in third-quarter, growth at one-year low as trade war bites
- The best smartwatch deals we saw for Prime Day 2019, and what to expect for 2020
- What does 2020 look like for your star sign? Hollywood astrologer reveals what's in store for the next year - and it's good news if you're Virgo or Taurus
- Mark Ruffalo looks dapper in a gray–blue suit while his wife Sunrise Coigney stuns in a red crop top at the premiere of his new film Dark Waters
- Morning digest: Brazil President to be chief guest at Republic Day 2020, SC to deliver Rafale judgment review verdict, and more
- Fox News' Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham Attack Mueller: He's a 'Sleazy and Dishonest' 'Mean Girl' Who's 'Full of Crap'
VJ Day 2020 meaning – what is Victory over Japan Day and how is it being marked? have 381 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 15, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.