TYSON FURY took to Twitter to hail 40-year-old Alexander Povetkin after his shock win over Dillian Whyte – and rub the Londoner’s nose in it.
Whyte’s WBC world heavyweight title hopes went up in smoke as he was left stunned by the Russian’s impressive victory.
A wonder punch from Povetkin left the Brit on the canvas in only the fifth round in this WBC interim and diamond belt contest, making sure the eight-year age difference counted for nothing against the much younger man.
And the Gypsy King tweeted an image of the Russian with the words: “40 and proud.”
Whyte had talked up meeting Fury or Anthony Joshua after beating Povetkin beforehand.
The 32-year-old Body Snatcher demanded a rematch after the fight.
Povetkin, meanwhile, now has the opportunity to make a play for big-money bouts with Fury, AJ and Bronze Bomber Deontay Wilder over the next two years.
It was not quite the stunner which made roly-poly Mexican Andy Ruiz Jr a quick millionaire after he KO’d Joshua in 2019.
But this bad night in Brentwood has certainly left Whyte with a worrying future.
He had hoped to meet Joshua after staining the Watford man’s career with an early victory.
Joshua, 30, hopes to get a fight this year as he looks to meet Fury in 2021.
The 32-year-old Mancunian is still set to complete his trilogy with Wilder next year but will also have a warm-up bout this year.
Most read in Boxing
Maguire GUILTY of assault and bribery in Greek brawl but claims ‘I’M the victim’
Maguire’s sister’s ‘eyes rolled back after being injected with “rape drug”‘
Ex-F1 boss Flavio Briatore rushed to hospital in ‘serious’ condition with Covid
Luis Suarez ‘in talks with Prem clubs’ as Barcelona outcast snubs Ajax return
Lionel Messi ‘tells Barcelona he wants to LEAVE’ and asks club for free transfer
PHIL YER BOOTS
Highest and lowest paid stars per minute including Phil Jones on £18k
He put the 2004 Olympic gold medal winner down twice in the opening two rounds.
But the Brixton man was floored by the stunning upper cut from the Soviet.
And Fury could not wait to rub it in.
- Team older feminist: am I allowed nuanced feelings about #MeToo?
- How Lottery millionaires spend their money: Exhibition to mark the game's 25th anniversary reveals how winners have created their dream lives - including a champion dog breeder and a race car driver
- Women's World Boxing Championships: Manju Rani enters final; Mary Kom settles for bronze
- The best of film 2013: The ballots
- The Top 10 Adventure Destinations in Russia
- Wednesday briefing: Has Johnson got a deal for EU?
- Beterbiev-Gvozdyk will give clarity to a crowded division
- Contents of Tudor mansion with links to Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine, Maggie Smith and Thomas Hardy are set to fetch over £1MILLION at auction
- Driving Under the Influence - The Impact, Fatalities and Casualties
- Pepper Spray For Self Defense For Ladies
- NHL mirage meter: Which players' hot starts will continue?
Tyson Fury hails Povetkin after shock knockout of Dillian Whyte as Russian stuns Brit with wonder punch at age of 40 have 557 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 23, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.