A group of protesters dressed in black military-style uniforms march in tight formation through the streets of London. They are led by strapping men who bellow orders such as ‘Atten-hut!’ and ‘Right face!’ and look like a highly trained group of soldiers out on parade. Some have dark berets, gloves and knee-high leather boots. A few carry walkie-talkies. At least one is wearing an IRA- style balaclava. In some ways the scene appears to echo the 1930s, when Oswald Mosley’s ‘Blackshirts’ took their ugly brand of fascism to working-class neighbourhoods of our capital city. But this was Brixton, last Saturday. A group of protesters dressed in black military-style uniforms march in tight formation through the streets of London. They are led by strapping men who bellow orders such as ‘Atten-hut!’ and ‘Right face!’ and look like a highly trained group of soldiers out on parade The occasion was a march for African Emancipation Day, held on the first day of August each year to mark both the anniversary of the date in 1834 when the Abolition of Slavery Act came into force, and to campaign for Britain to pay reparations for its role in the transatlantic slave trade. The protesters… Read full this story
- Face the Nation transcript March 5, 2017: Warner, Collins, Panetta, Price
- The great vape debate: are e-cigarettes saving smokers or creating new addicts?
- Amy Adams’ New HBO Series Breaks Into The Boys Club Of Dark TV Drama
- The Turning Point: New Hope for the Climate
- Editorial Roundup: Ohio
- The Black Art of Escape
- A Secretive Billionaire’s Dreams of Creating America’s Foremost Guns Empire
- Don Jr.: The one thing Bloomberg can't buy is personality
- Why the suffragettes still matter: 'they dared to act as the equals of men'
- Movies on TV this week: Feb. 23 — 29: ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind’
The new face of race hate: Marching through London they claimed to be fighting bigotry - but as this exposé by GUY ADAMS lays bare, their leader revels in anti-Semitic abuse... with chilling echoes of 1930s fascism have 295 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at August 7, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.