Thousands of sun-seekers flouted social distancing today to soak up temperatures of 95F (35C) with desperate police turning an influx of staycationers away because of Friday’s ‘bedlam’ – as soaring mercury left officials worried about what tomorrow could bring. Saturday’s top temperature was 34.5C at Frittenden in Kent, Wiggonholt in West Sussex, and Herstmonceux in East Sussex, the Met Office said. The heat brought with it a number of water-related tragedies as a man in his 20s drowned in a quarry, a six-year-old boy almost died after his inflatable swan was swept out to sea and men were pictured jumping into the water at Durdle Door – an activity that critically injured two men in May. In North Wales, described as being a scene of ‘bedlam’ yesterday, a councillor’s plea for visitors to avoid towns was ignored as the local police force reported a ‘considerable build up’ of traffic in Abersoch while drivers made their way to the beach. Later in the day a man in his 20s drowned in a water-filled quarry at Bawsey Pits near King’s Lynn, Norfolk, after ‘getting into trouble in the water’. Emergency services were called to the scene at about 11.30am on Saturday after… Read full this story
- Staying OUT for the summer! Sun-seekers come out in their droves to flout social distancing at parks and beaches as post-lockdown UK enjoys 80F sizzler - with warm weather to last all week
- You're NOT welcome: Scotland's rural villages and glens send tourists a clear message with home-made signs telling outsiders to 'GO HOME'
- 'If I don't do this there will be ANARCHY': Now police officer threatens to fine shopkeeper for 'criminal damage' after she drew social-distancing markers in CHALK outside her bakery - as forces across country flex their new coronavirus lockdown powers
- Has England abandoned social distancing? Parks, beaches and beauty spots packed
- Police order ‘selfish’ tourists to leave after thousands ignore ‘no staying over’ rules and spend the night at seaside resorts – raising fears a surge in crowds could trigger a second wave of coronavirus and force Brit
- Spain opens for tourists on July 1 and says Brits SHOULD book holidays because UK's strict quarantine rules will 'likely be suspended' as French politicians tear into draconian rules
- The locals hit back! Father blasts 'millennial attitude' after illegal party at Lancashire beauty spot - and angry jogger kicks day-tripper's car at Cornwall beach ahead of bank holiday weekend
- Shocking moment gaggle of rowdy sunseekers brawl on a packed Kent beach as swathes of people flock to coast as lockdown is eased
- Book for the BEACH! Sussex beauty spot reopens after lockdown but only for pre-ticketed sun-seekers while RNLI calls for coasts without lifeguards to be shut - as thousands head to coast to lap up 81F heat
- 'If Dominic Cummings can break the rules, we can too!' Fears lockdown will collapse with crowds hitting parks and beaches in 79F heatwave after Boris Johnson's top aide drove 270 miles to Durham family home with coronavirus symptoms
Stay off the beaches? NO CHANCE! Thousands flout social-distancing to soak up 95F as desperate police turn back staycationers after councils begged tourists to steer clear following 'bedlam' yesterday have 493 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at August 8, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.