Everybody wearing face coverings in public could reduce a country’s Covid-19 death rate by five per cent, according to a study. And if medical masks are given to the elderly and people currently sick with Covid-19, the effect doubles. Applying this to the UK’s death toll of 41,329 suggests the strategy could have saved 10 per cent of the victims’ lives – a total of more than 4,000 individuals. However, medical masks have not been widely available because of immense global demand and members of the public were advised against buying them up to make sure medical workers didn’t run out. And wearing face coverings of any kind was not encouraged until June in the UK, months after the peak of the pandemic. Mask-wearing of any kind among the public has been a contentious issue throughout the pandemic because officials said they would not advise it until there was clear evidence they worked – and proof that they do is still uncertain. Face coverings worn by the public can reduce the Covid-19 death rate by five per cent, according to a study. Pictured: UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson in Belfast, August 13 Face coverings worn by the public can reduce… Read full this story
- 2.7 million Californians still don’t have health insurance. Can that number go lower?
- California flu deaths up despite fewer infections. Watch for signs you need a doctor
- Real World Economics: Consider life and death by the numbers
- CDC issues mid-season report on the effectiveness of this year's flu vaccine
- Looking to barbershops and hair salons to lower high blood pressure
- Problems in Kentucky’s nursing homes are matter of life, death. Time for state to act.
- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says 'something doesn't quite fit' with Jeffrey Epstein's death just one day after pathologist said his injuries were consistent with homicide not suicide
- Cash in on medical breakthroughs
- NHS care fund they don't tell you about but claims face years of delay
- Unemployment rates in Fresno, Valley dip to historic lows for 2018
Face coverings lower the Covid-19 death rate by 5%, study claims - and the effect doubles when medical masks are given to the elderly and people who already have the virus have 329 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at August 13, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.