Many of England’s biggest landowners are not doing enough to plant trees to tackle the climate crisis, according to new data. Government departments, companies such as United Utilities and Network Rail, the royal family and organisations such as the Church of England and the National Trust are among the biggest owners of land in the country, but most have forest cover on their land that is only slightly above the national average, despite having pledged to reduce their carbon footprint. Tree cover makes up about 10% of England’s overall land area, but out of the top 10 landowners, only the Forestry Commission had a substantially greater forested area than this average, according to data compiled for the first time by Friends of the Earth. That shows most of the biggest landowners could and should do more to plant trees, according to the campaigning charity, which is calling for a doubling of the UK’s forest cover as part of the push to net zero carbon emissions. “Much of England is owned by a very small number of landowners, who have a responsibility to better use their land in a way that helps address the climate and nature crises facing us all,”… Read full this story
- Darryl Strawberry admits leaving Mets in 1990 was 'biggest mistake' he made: report
- Five Injured After Tree Limb Falls In San Francisco’s Washington Square Park
- 2-Year-Old Hospitalized, 4 Others Injured After Tree Limb Falls In San Francisco’s Washington Square Park
- Coronavirus lockdown advice 'lacks clarity', England's mayors say
- Four in 10 care homes in England have suffered suspected or confirmed coronavirus outbreaks, Number 10 confirms
- Chris Woakes would welcome ditched Alex Hales back into England dressing room
- COVID-19: England Bowlers Lead The Way as Cricketers Set to Resume Training From Thursday
- Report: European Tour hopes to resume in UK ‘bubble’
- England beaches gridlock caused by cars 'from all over country'
- Going green: Trees and shrubs are taking root in normally barren areas like the savanna and Arctic tundra as climate change leads to warming temperatures and wetter weather
England's biggest landowners not growing enough trees – report have 342 words, post on www.theguardian.com at August 4, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.