BEIJING, Aug. 22 (Xinhua) — Driven by the sales of war epic film “The Eight Hundred,” the daily China box office sales on Saturday surpassed 200 million yuan (about 28 million U.S. dollars), a new high since movie theaters reopened a month ago following months of closure due to COVID-19.
As of 10:30 p.m., Saturday’s China box office sales totaled 220 million yuan, to which “The Eight Hundred” contributed over 190 million, showed data compiled by Maoyan, a movie-ticketing and film data platform.
“The Eight Hundred” won applause from moviegoers and critics alike after preview screenings began on Aug. 14 in China where it was formally released Friday.
The film has so far grossed more than 560 million yuan in China.
Directed by Guan Hu, “The Eight Hundred” shows Chinese soldiers defending a warehouse against the invading Japanese army during the Battle of Shanghai in 1937.
Shot entirely with IMAX cameras, it is the first major Chinese film to hit movie theaters since the COVID-19 outbreak. Enditem
- ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Hits $92M Global Bow For Franchise Best; ‘Endgame’ Tops $2.6B WW – International Box Office
- ‘Pokémon Detective Pikachu’ Catches $103M In Overseas Bow; ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Assembles $2.486B WW – International Box Office
- ‘Aladdin’ Rides To Princely $212M+ Global Bow; ‘Rocketman’ Blasts Off In UK – International Box Office
- International Box Office: Some Active Markets See Weekend Increases; ‘Onward’ Journeys To Taiwan
- Article 15 box office collection day 1: Ayushmann Khurrana film gets a decent opening with Rs 5.02 cr, Kabir Singh stays strong with Rs 146.63 cr
- Black Panther Is First Movie Since Avatar to Win Box Office 5 Weeks in a Row
- Mohanlal Birthday Special: Top 5 Films That Prove He Is The Undisputed King Of Box Office!
- Zootopia Takes Out Deadpool at the Box Office with $73.7M
- Avengers Endgame set to smash box office records to become highest grossing film
- With Bharat, Salman Khan has delivered 14 consecutive Rs100 cr hits. Here is every box office record the film broke
- Bharat box office day 5: Despite World Cup 2019 fever, Salman Khan’s film rakes in Rs 150 crore
- Thor: Ragnarok Continues to Crush Box Office Newcomers
- ‘Glass’ No. 1 Again At Weekend Box Office, ‘Serenity’ Bombs And Only A Handful Of Oscar Best Picture Noms Sees Boost
- VinSmart mobile sales hit 1.2 million
- China Defence Spending to Hit Three-Decade Low Amid COVID-19 Pandemic-Driven Uncertainty
- Pacific Rim 2 Thursday Night Box Office Surpasses Expectations
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens destroys box office records on opening weekend
- Beijing accuses America of 'inciting countries to demand compensation from China' for coronavirus after hitting Australia with huge tariffs as payback for Covid-19 inquiry calls
- Int'l auto show in Chinese island sees 200 mln USD in transactions
- Salman Khan’s Bharat yet to enter Rs 200 Cr club: Here’s how it stacks up against the actor’s past superhits
Daily China box office sales hit 200 mln yuan have 441 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at August 22, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.