Australian electro-pop band Cut Copy have announced a new album, Freeze, Melt, out August 21st.
The band also dropped a new single, “Like Breaking Glass,” to accompany the announcement. “Every heart beats now/It beats like the sound of breaking glass,” Dan Whitford sings over triumphant reverb and layers of synths. “Every violent breath/Hurts, so I know I’m still in love.”
“In the beginning, ‘Like Breaking Glass’ started out as a completely different track,” Whitford said of the single. “One weekend I was mucking around in the studio with just a drum beat and an acid bassline. I never managed to finish it, but when I came back to it the next week there was something about that beat that felt compelling, so I started writing a song over the top of it.”
“It is about the conflicted feelings of a relationship that has begun to unravel,” he added. “Where sometimes against all logic, you discover that affections run deep just as a break-up becomes inevitable. It was also one of my favorite songs working in the studio with the band.”
Freeze, Melt marks the band’s sixth album, after 2017’s Haiku From Zero. “Like Breaking Glass” follows the singles “Love Is All We Share” and “Cold Water.” The band will tour in support of the album next year in Europe.
Freeze, Melt was recorded at Melbourne’s Park Orchard Studios and completed at Svenska Grammofonstudion in Sweden. The band used the legendary Neve 8048 console — used previously by David Bowie, Brian Eno and Tony Visconti while recording 1979’s Lodger, as well as the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and more.
Popular on Rolling Stone
Freeze, Melt Tracklist
- The Woodsiest Lines From Taylor Swift's New Album 'Folklore' Now Streaming
- Lindsay Ell on How She Processed Grief and Trauma on New Album ‘Heart Theory’
- Vinyl lives on at New Jersey record shop
- There’re 12 Previously-Unreleased Tom Petty Songs in His New Box Set
- Turnpike Troubadours’ Evan Felker Says He’s Sober, Focused on Music in New Interview
- Miley Cyrus goes completely naked in new self-directed music video for Midnight Sky... as she confirms amicable split from Cody Simpson who congratulates her on latest release
- Breaking Down Bob Dylan’s Longstanding Love of Cover Songs
- How Lady Gaga's 'The Fame' Made Her a New Industry Standard For Pop Superstardom
- Kang Daniel Reflects on 'Magenta' Album, Teases New Projects & Collaborations
- Kang Daniel Reflects on 'Magenta' Project, Teases New Projects & Collaborations
- ‘Glass’ Cracks $89M 3-Day Global Bow; ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Nears $800M WW – International Box Office
- The new Black Monday: Coronavirus chaos sees FTSE 100 close 7.7% down at 5966 points - its lowest in four years after £125 billion is wiped off shares in biggest daily drop since 2008 crash
- Amanda Holden, 49, showcases her age-defying figure as she slips into a skimpy red swimsuit to perform a rain dance in new racy video
- Brace yourself for Super Saturday: Boris is set to announce green light for meeting up indoors (with no hugging) and end of 2-metre rule to allow pubs, cinemas, museums and staycations to return
- Couple are 'at breaking point' and £40,000 out of pocket after rogue builder 'disappeared' and left them with a house that's not safe to live in - and face a further £20,000 bill to redo his work that's not up to standard
- Newly-engaged Paris Hilton sings about 'coming alive' as she drops sultry music video for love song Never Be Alone following romantic proposal
- 'Dying of starvation': Public housing residents break down in tears revealing they've only eaten four sausage rolls since nine towers were forced into lockdown
- Ben Affleck cruises around town in his new BMW motorcycle as he celebrates his 48th birthday with girlfriend Ana de Armas
- European chocolates, olives and 28 other items could be hit with $3.1 billion in new US tariffs
- American Airlines will drop flights to 15 small US cities including including Sioux City, Iowa; New Haven, Connecticut; and Springfield, Illinois, in October due to plummeting demand
Cut Copy Announce New Album, Drop Synth-Heartbreaker ‘Like Breaking Glass’ have 660 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at August 5, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.