A 151-year-old church at Pallathuruthy in Kuttanad, Alappuzha collapsed following a bund breach on Tuesday morning.
According to officials, St. Paul’s church, belonging to the Church of South India (CSI), was destroyed by gushing floodwaters after the outer bund of Chungam Karuveli paddy polder breached. No one was injured in the incident.
The church was built by Rev. W.J. Richardson in 1869.
Kuttanad has witnessed at least 21 bund breaches in recent days following torrential downpour and an increase in the inflow of floodwaters from the eastern side. This has inundated hundreds of houses, forcing several families to move to their relatives’ homes or relief camps. As per the preliminary assessment carried out by the Agriculture Department, paddy cultivation in 1,289 hectares was destroyed.
Although rains have subsided, the water level in the rivers in the region remains above the danger level.
- So can you guess which of these boys went on to be a massive England Rugby hero? School photo shows nine-year-old star-in-the making and his under-11 teammates
- From the horrific rape of a two-year-old girl in Tennant Creek to a mass murder-suicide and needles in strawberries: The stories of 2018 that rocked Australia
- When 12-Year-Olds Can Breach School IT Systems, Who’s Responsible?
- What’s eating this 400-year-old painting? A whole ecosystem of microbes
- 'I had to make this happen': how a 19-year-old director wowed Hollywood
- Blue Pigment in 1,000-Year-Old Teeth Links Women to the Production of Medieval Manuscripts
- The Overstated Collapse of American Christianity
- One of 'England's oldest stone churches' from 633AD was built using techniques and masons imported from Europe, archaeologists reveal
- Comedian Artie Lange says he won't fix his collapsed nose now he is sober as it serves as a constant reminder to stay off drugs - as he reveals that he once snorted GLASS during his 30 years of addiction
- Year in Photos: Best News, Science, and Tech Images of 2018
- In huge breach, 100M customer records stolen from Capital One
- Lost empire that ruled Mesopotamia for 200 years 'was wiped out by cataclysmic dust storms that caused drought and famine'
- Woman fined £1,000 for walking her dog off the lead
- Read "Skullpocket," One of the Year's Best SF Stories—And One of the Creepiest Stories in Years
- Leading Christian songwriter says he’s happier without religion
- Data Breaches Keep Happening. So Why Don’t You Do Something?
- There are rules about who gets church casseroles, or doesn’t
- The website that helps people leave the Mormon Church
- 'The Discord Is The Church:' A Place For Gamers To Worship
- 10 Shocking Facts About The Mormon Church
Bund breach leads to collapse of 151-year-old church in Alappuzha have 411 words, post on www.thehindu.com at August 11, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.