EDDIE HEARN has revealed Anthony Joshua will prioritise a rematch against Dillian Whyte for the WBC title if Tyson Fury is stripped of his belt.
The Matchroom promoter revealed earlier in the week how the WBA, WBO and IBF king is keen to become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 1999.
And Hearn has once again stressed how AJ will press ahead to fight WBC mandatory Whyte should Fury refuse to face the Body Snatcher.
The winner of Saturday’s showdown between Whyte and Alexander Povetkin are mandated to fight the victor of Fury’s trilogy against Deontay Wilder.
But Hearn has stated that Fury‘s team aren’t keen on a domestic dust-up with Whyte, which could jeopardise a blockbuster bout between the Gypsy King and AJ.
Speaking to iFL TV, he said: “People said from Fury’s team, ‘We are not fighting Dillian Whyte.
“So I said, ‘If you don’t fight Dillian Whyte, you’re going to be stripped of your world title.’
“And then I said, by the way, Anthony Joshua wants to win the WBC world title because he wants to win all the belts. He wants to be undisputed.’
“So if Tyson Fury vacates the belt, then AJ can’t win the WBC belt. So, therefore, he’ll fight Dillian Whyte for the WBC belt.”
HEAR ME OUT
Before adding: “If Anthony Joshua wants to fight Tyson Fury, it can’t even be for the undisputed until he’s boxed Dillian Whyte.
“It’s never been about Fury. He wanted to fight Wilder since he had the WBC title.
“As soon as Fury beat him, Joshua wanted to fight Fury. By the way, he still wants to fight Fury belt or no belt, but that’s his decision.”
Whyte has been vocal in his desire to face Fury, as he claimed his rival is scared of facing him.
He told Sky Sports: “He said he was a fighting man. Before he won the belt, he said he was going to fight me. He just talks rubbish. He said he was going to do this to me, do that to me.
“‘When I beat Deontay Wilder, I’m going to give Dillian the first shot at the belt, because he deserves it, he’s waited so long and he’s worked so hard.’
latest boxing news
Prem rocked by 14 mystery Covid cases as stars return from partying on hols
Man Utd wages revealed with Henderson set to take home same amount as Bruno
ZLAT’S NOT TRUE?
Sexy TV star denies relationship with Ibrahimovic after lockdown meet-up
Renee Young to quit WWE at SummerSlam after eight-years with McMahon’s company
LYON 0 BAYERN 3 – REACTION
All the fall-out as Gnabry and Lewa earn final spot
“After he wins the fight, he talks about fighting Derek Chisora. He’s a joker. The WBC have obviously come forward and said you have to fight me now, so let’s see what he’s going to do.
“He’s tried everything to avoid me. Even without waiting for the outcome of my fight with Povetkin, he’s so scared about the prospect of fighting me that his promoter begged the WBC to elevate him to ‘Franchise’ champion to keep him out of my clutches.
“Mauricio has said publicly that that ain’t happening. All going well, he’ll be all mine, but I fully expect him to run, run and run, just like that coward Wilder before him.”
- Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury agree on fight site as blockbuster mega-fight edges closer
- How Tyson Fury reacted watching Anthony Joshua being outboxed by Oleksandr Usyk in loss
- Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk radio coverage: How to listen to fight commentary
- Dillian Whyte to be made WBC mandatory for winner of Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder’s trilogy after Anthony Joshua’s loss
- Dillian Whyte vs Otto Wallin: Date, UK start time, live stream, TV channel, undercard for O2 heavyweight fight
- Bob Arum offers plan for Anthony Joshua to fight the winner of Oleksandr Usyk vs Tyson Fury
- Tyson Fury rips into Anthony Joshua before Oleksandr Usyk bout as fight hopes talked down
- ‘No heavyweight can outbox him’ – Oleksandr Usyk’s promoter sends warning to Tyson Fury
- Tyson Fury says he's in wife Paris' bad books as she takes off her wedding ring
- What went wrong for Anthony Joshua against Oleksandr Usyk and what comes next?
- Boxing schedule for 2021: Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3, Jamel Herring vs. Shakur Stevenson on tap
- Billy Joe Saunders vs Canelo Alvarez fight OFF claims Tom Saunders after ring size feud
- Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders back on with ring issue 'sorted' after quit threat
- Jake Paul questions why octagon girl is 'making more money' than UFC fighters
Anthony Joshua will NOT fight Tyson Fury if Gypsy King is stripped of WBC belt and will face Dillian Whyte instead have 807 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 19, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.