WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump on Tuesday held a Rose Garden event under the guise of punishing China over its crackdown on Hong Kong, delivering a lengthy diatribe against Democratic rival Joe Biden in a display that resembled a campaign speech at the White House. The president began his rambling 54-minute opening statement by announcing that he had signed congressional legislation that authorizes his administration to enact sanctions on banks that do business with Chinese officials and an executive order to revoke Hong Kong’s special economic trading status. But he glossed over the specifics and said nothing about the pro-democracy protests on the island as he pivoted swiftly to his attacks on Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee. Trump lambasted Biden’s record on Beijing, casting the former vice president and longtime senator from Delaware as soft on China during its rise to become the second-largest economy in the world. He faulted Biden for initially opposing his administration’s decision to shut down some flights from China over the coronavirus, and he inaccurately stated that Biden “sided with China” on its handling of the pandemic – even though Biden had sounded alarms months ago as Trump was still praising Chinese President Xi… Read full this story
- Trump Tried to Attack Biden Using a Nickelback Song, Then His Tweet Was Taken Down Over Copyright: 'The Dumbest Timeline'
- Trump announces social distancing guidelines extended to April 30
- Trump uses coronavirus crisis to push his broader agenda
- Trump shows off new rapid coronavirus test kit in Rose Garden, as HHS says 1 million Americans tested
- Trump extends virus guidelines, braces US for big death toll
- Who Are the Voters Behind Trump's Higher Approval Rating?
- Joe Biden predicts Democratic convention delay until August
- Biden: A normal convention 'hard to imagine' as scheduled
- Media members skip Trump briefings because of little news, much risk their health
- Trump marks establishment of U.S. Space Command
Trump uses Rose Garden event for extended attack on Biden have 309 words, post on www.sfgate.com at July 14, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.