Six in 10 adults feel uncomfortable eating indoors at a restaurant, according to a survey ahead of the Government’s meal deal scheme to encourage dining out.
A fifth of adults surveyed by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said they would be comfortable or very comfortable doing so, with 60 per cent disagreeing.
The poll of 1,788 adults in Britain was conducted between July 2 and July 5 as part of its Opinions and Lifestyle Survey.
Pubs and restaurants in England were able to re-open from Saturday July 4, following a series of loosening measures involving shops, hairdressers and cinemas.
During a ‘mini budget’ delivered on Wednesday this week, Chancellor Rishi Sunak unveiled the Eat Out To Help Out Programme.
The programme allows diners to enjoy a 50 per cent discount at restaurants and pubs to help the flagging hospitality sector.
A meal deal scheme announced by Chancellor Rishi Sunak this week hopes to get more people dining out in August to help the economy recover
Women were more likely than men, and older people more likely than younger adults, to feel uncomfortable with eating at a restaurant indoors, the ONS said.
Two thirds of the over 70s are uncomfortable with the idea, compared with 59 per cent of adults aged 16-69.
Thirty-seven per cent agreed they were more likely to feel comfortable eating at an outdoor table while 39 per cent said they would feel uncomfortable doing so.
Customers can claim the reduction, up to a maximum of £10 per head, on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in August at participating businesses.
These businesses will then be able to claim the money back from the Treasury.
Names such as Burger King have confirmed themselves as part of the scheme.
Thirty-seven per cent agreed they were more likely to feel comfortable eating at an outdoor table while 39 per cent said they would feel uncomfortable doing so
Obesity campaigners questioned the timing of the meal deal bonus and have branded the Government’s plans for half-price food as a ‘green light for junk food’.
The announcement came on the same day England’s deputy chief medical officer urged people to lose weight ahead of a potential second coronavirus wave in the winter.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson had already warned the public needed to slim down to protect themselves from the virus.
Tam Fry, chairman of the National Obesity Forum said Mr Sunak’s initiative felt like the ultimate buy one, get one free deal – a type of offer previously condemned by health campaigners.
Action on Sugar also laid into the Eat Out to Help Out push saying money should have been directed to a healthy eating drive.
The ‘mini budget’ also included a VAT reduction for food, accommodation and attractions such as cinemas.
Eat Out To Help Out: How does it work and when is it being rolled out?
On Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the month of August, Britons can eat out for a discount price.
At businesses participating in the scheme, diners will receive a 50 per cent discount, up to a maximum of £10 per head.
So if a meal costs £20, the diner will get £10 off, but if a meal costs £30, the diner will still only get £10 off.
Businesses will claim the money back from the Treasury, which is expected to spend £500million on the scheme.
Restaurants and pubs are expected to announce their involvement over the coming weeks.
The discount covers non-alcoholic drinks, but not booze.
- Media startups trying to drive people to their websites are doing it wrong, says Overtime CEO Dan Porter
- 10 Reasons Washington Is a Great Restaurant City
- I'm YouTuber Natalie Wynn of ContraPoints, and This Is How I Eat
- How food delivery apps have changed the game for restaurants
- It goes there: 10 very special episodes of
- 10 episodes of real people in a real town with real feelings from
- Michelle Heaton EXCLUSIVE: 'Maybe we'll renew our vows!' Star, 40, and husband Hugh Hanley discuss plans for their 10 year wedding anniversary and insist the kids will be involved
- The Story of Peggy Claude-Pierre, the Eating Disorder Healer Who Promised Everything
- UK's appetite for gourmet takeaway fuels restaurant delivery boom
- Ask the Salty Waitress: Our one friend hates the adventurous restaurants we love
- It is time to perceive restaurants as an industry and not a rich man's pastime: Riyaaz Amlani
- Ask The Salty Waitress: Should I close my restaurant during extreme cold?
- Father who sat his family down to brunch before crashing his car into the restaurant - killing his daughter and daughter-in-law - suffered a 'breakdown' two months ago and begged his son to take away his guns
- Ask The Salty Waitress: Our one friend hates the adventurous restaurants we love
- How millennials can learn to #adult with Amazon Alexa
- I'm Actress and Writer Mara Wilson, and This Is How I Eat
- Product Hunt CEO Ryan Hoover says redesigning your app is probably a mistake
- Tech companies finally care about helping older people
- ITV and Veg Power launch campaign to get kids eating vegetables after 'adults failed'
- CarGurus: 32% of consumers are ‘excited’ about self-driving cars
Six in 10 adults still feel uncomfortable eating indoors at a restaurant despite drive to get people to dine out after launch of Rishi Sunak’s Eat Out to Help Out scheme, says survey have 851 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at July 10, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.