(CNN)Just one year ago, Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, the former most powerful and dangerous kingpin in the world, was sentenced to life in prison, plus 30 years. A jury found the former head of Mexico’s Sinaloa Cartel guilty of 10 counts of engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise, drug trafficking, money laundering and conspiracy to commit murder. Now, as Guzman spends his days and nights alone in a small 7×12 foot concrete cell in Colorado’s Supermax prison, his lawyer says he’s waiting for his ticket out of jail. “Mr. Guzman remains focused on his appeal which is what we are working on right now,” Mariel Colon, Guzman’s attorney, told CNN. Colon and the rest of his legal team plan to file the appeal, which would seek to overturn Guzman’s conviction, before the August 21 deadline. Read More But DEA Special Agent in Charge Ray Donovan said the chances of “El Chapo” getting out of jail are slim. “The one thing you have to understand about the trial is that there is a mountain of evidence against El Chapo,” Donovan, who spent a great deal of his career chasing down “El Chapo,” told CNN. “And there’s so much more to the… Read full this story
- El Chapo trial hears 'drug lord is scapegoat for real leader of Mexican cartel'
- US trial of Mexican drug lord ‘El Chapo’ begins
- Who is the Mexican drug lord El Chapo and how was he finally brought to justice?
- Four things we learnt this week in the explosive El Chapo trial
- El Chapo ‘ordered hits on his OWN FAMILY and used gold-plated AK47s encrusted with diamonds to terrify his rivals’
- El Chapo trial witness says he paid millions in bribes to top Mexican officials
- El Chapo gave $1M bribe to Honduran president: testimony
- El Chapo ‘trial of century’ to begin amid tight security after Mexican cartel boss ‘promises not to have any jurors killed’
- 'El Chapo' ordered hits on 'own family'
- Who is Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman and what’s his net worth? Mexican drug lord behind the Sinaloa cartel who’s on trial
One year after being sentenced, 'El Chapo' is hoping an appeal can get him out of Supermax, his lawyer says have 346 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 22, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.