Japan confirmed Wednesday a new daily record for COVID-19 infections, topping more than 1,000 cases for the first time since the pandemic began.
Japanese broadcaster NHK reports the daily total surpasses 1,200 cases, but the exact number of new cases could not be verified.
The record single-day number of cases was based on information given by local authorities and came as after districts with huge urban populations other than Tokyo, including Aichi and Osaka, reported their highest numbers of infections.
Officials in the western prefecture of Osaka reported 221, the first time the daily infection figure has surpassed 200.
Osaka Governor Yoshimura Hirofumi said, “Considering the positive rate in virus tests is as high as 10 percent, I think the number of infections will increase further.”
The central prefecture of Aichi reported 167 infections. Okinawa, in the south, registered a record figure for the third day in a row. The number is relatively low at 44 — but it’s more than double Tuesday’s daily tally. Figures do not include cases linked to U.S. military bases in the prefecture.
Out of Japan’s 47 prefectures, Iwate was the only one that had no confirmed infections. But that changed on Wednesday when it reported two cases.
At a Tokyo news conference earlier in the day, Japan Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said some prefectures are facing a shortage of accommodations, such as hotels, to house and treat patients with mild symptoms of COVID-19. He said the government was prepared to help districts that need it.
Suga also blamed the recent surges on "clusters" of infections — groups of people all getting infected in one location or situation because they were not maintaining social distancing. He said as of Tuesday, 550 such clusters had been identified nationwide.
- Britain records FEWEST daily Covid-19 cases in a fortnight as officials announce 18,950 more positive tests and 136 deaths
- Poland Sets Record for Daily COVID-19 Cases
- India reports another low in daily Covid-19 cases in months at 38,310; recoveries over 7.6 million
- Daily COVID-19 cases in Delhi cross 7,000 mark for first time
- Delhi’s daily Covid-19 cases hit a worrying record at 6,842
- New York tops 5,000 daily COVID-19 cases for the first time since April
- Coronavirus update | US daily COVID-19 cases hit new record, topping 120,000
- Daily COVID-19 cases cross 8K for first time
- Roundup: Iran, Morocco reports new records of daily COVID-19 cases
- Delhi sees over 7,000 daily Covid-19 cases for first time, tally at 423,831
- Health Commissioner: N.J. Records 3,877 New Daily COVID-19 Cases, Highest Number Since April 24; Newark At 19% Positivity
- Iran sees new record 9,450 daily COVID-19 cases, 673,250 in total
- US daily Covid-19 cases hit new record, topping 120,000
- Japan's daily COVID-19 cases top 1,000 for 1st time since Aug. 21
- Japan's Hokkaido sees daily COVID-19 cases spike to 200-mark for 1st time
- Tokyo's daily COVID-19 case spike top 300 amid concerns over nationwide virus resurgence
- Japan reports record-high daily COVID-19 cases for 3 consecutive days
- U.S. reports record-high daily COVID-19 cases of nearly 200,000
- U.S. border city reports record high daily COVID-19 cases
- Roundup: U.S. hits record-high 80,000 average daily COVID-19 cases
Japan Reaches 1,000 Daily COVID-19 Cases for 1st Time have 488 words, post on www.voanews.com at July 29, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.