A fundraiser has been set up for the 1-year-old boy who was shot and killed at a New York City cookout, amid a recent surge of violence in the Big Apple.
Davell Gardner Jr. had been sitting in his stroller at the sidewalk gathering in Brooklyn when two men dressed in black fired a number of shots at the group before fleeing the scene. Gardner was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later, police said.
"He was the joy of my life," the infant’s grandmother, Samantha Gardner told the New York Daily News. "I just got a call saying my grandson was shot."
Davell Gardner Jr. was shot and killed at a New York City cookout over the weekend. (GoFundMe Campaign, Kenya Brown)
The others who were shot at the cookout are expected to survive, police said. A 27-year-old man was hit in the ankle, a 35-year-old man was shot in the groin and a 36-year-old man took a bullet in the leg, police said.
"They need to stop this gun violence," Gardner told the paper . "I feel like this: You all are ranting and raving about black lives. But you take a life that was only a year and half old. And it's not fair. It's not fair to the grandparents. It's not fair to the mother. It's not fair to the father, the whole family in general."
No arrests have been made and an investigation is ongoing, authorities said. The deadly shooting came amid another violent weekend in New York City.
“Last night, 4 people were shot at a Brooklyn cookout, including a 1-year-old child who died from his injuries,” Police Commissioner Dermot Shea wrote on Twitter Monday. “These are the very real people affected by senseless gun violence.”
This weekend alone, there were 28 shooting incidents and 35 victims across the city's five boroughs. That compared to just five incidents and six victims during the same Friday-to-Sunday period last year, the New York Police Department told Fox News.
A GoFundMe page has been set up by Brooklyn resident Kenya Brown on behalf of the family which she said would “help pay for legal fees, rewards to find killers, funeral expenses, anything.”
“The family needs answers and they need it now!! On behalf of Samantha Gardner and Davell Gardner Sr. (Davell Jr’s grandma and dad) I have put this campaign together,” Brown said. “The family did not ask me to do this, but however we can help this family right now…we need all hands on deck.”
Fox News’ Greg Norman contributed to this report
- Real Housewives Of New York City: Luann de Lesseps starts drinking again after months of sobriety
- View from the front lines: The lives impacted by coronavirus in New York City
- 'I'm glad they can't see how scared I am': New York City doctor pens heartbreaking post to 'endless list of patients' who have died of COVID-19 and reveals he has struggled to maintain his sanity amid 'sheer madness' of the pandemic
- New York City was the source of US outbreak: Yale professor says 65% of the country's cases stemmed from the Big Apple despite first case emerging in Washington
- Fulshear Air Force nurse helps COVID-19 patients in New York City
- Jerry Seinfeld and wife Jessica attend the Good+ Foundation bash in New York City with their kids
- Safety first: Hugh Jackman and his 14-year-old daughter Ava wear face masks as they step out in New York City amid the coronavirus pandemic
- Real Housewives Of New York City: Tinsley Mortimer cries after Dorinda Medley viciously attacks her
- More children hospitalized in New York City with rare condition that may be linked to COVID-19
- Nick Blixky Dead After Rapper Gunned Down in New York City, Police Say
- Family Says New York City Woman Victim In Amtrak Train Derailment
- New York City conservative radio host Barry Farber, who once ran for mayor, dies at age 90 after suffering a fall that 'hastened his passing'
- Teenage couple are charged with attempted murder 'after 18-year-old girl's new lover, 17, shot her ex-boyfriend in the face'
- Hero by night: Moonlighting as an EMT on New York City's front lines
- New York City mayor vows to release NYPD social distancing enforcement data
- New York City Is Shut Down, But Its Black-Market Weed Is Booming
- Eight years after Trayvon Martin, another 17-year-old is killed in a Sanford, Florida, stand your ground case
- New York City nurse, 43, steals coronavirus patient's credit card as he was on a ventilator and uses it to buy $60-worth of groceries and gas three days before he died
- US scientists race to uncover link between coronavirus and life-threatening inflammation syndrome as dozens more children in New York City are hospitalized with high fevers and mysteriously swollen necks and feet
- Air pollution declines across the US as multiple states enforce lockdowns to stop coronavirus from spreading - with Los Angeles and New York City experiencing the biggest drops in nitrogen dioxide levels
Fundraiser set up for family of 1-year-old shot and killed at New York City cookout have 896 words, post on www.foxnews.com at July 13, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.