(CNN)Hortencia Laurens was nearing her 70th birthday when she was diagnosed with coronavirus on July 2. Her grandson, Diego Fereira, told CNN that her she spent her final days navigating the Florida healthcare system with a rapidly progressing illness. “My grandmother was alone, she was scared,” Fereira said. More than 3.3 million people have been diagnosed with Covid-19 in the US since the pandemic began, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. And Florida has been hit particularly hard. The state has reported more coronavirus cases than most countries in the world, leaving hospitals around Florida overwhelmed. Just days after her diagnosis, she would die of the virus — wrapped in her daughter’s arms — on her way back to the hospital. Read More ‘Everybody is afraid’ Her family was set to go on their annual trip on July 6 to the west coast of Florida, but a week before the reunion Laurens started to feel unwell, Fereira said. The illness began with stomach symptoms, but Laurens’ daughters soon noticed she was very weak and not making sense, Fereira said. Late Wednesday, July 1, her daughter brought her to the Memorial Hospital in Pembroke Pines, Florida, Fereira said. Due to… Read full this story
- Boss of London's University College Hospital warns it is on the brink of treating ONLY coronavirus patients as other treatment centre warns it is in 'disaster mode', with patients waiting more than 24 hours for beds
- Record 3,700 people die in a single day from COVID as new high of 124,000 are hospitalized as mutant strain is found in Colorado
- Coronavirus: Family devastated after losing two members within days of each other
- Fiancee and both her parents all die of Covid within days of each other just before Christmas as she planned her wedding
- U.S. reaches grim milestone of 4,065 deaths in a single day and hits a record 274,703 new daily infections as California hospitals begin to ration care and store bodies of victims in refrigerated trucks
- US passes 350,000 COVID deaths and sets single-day cases RECORD: America reaches another grim milestone as 299,087 test positive in 24 hours and California funeral homes run out of room - while CDC data suggests the true death toll is 470K
- Coronavirus live updates: Southern California hospitals ‘in crisis,’ state health leader says
- Husband of nurse found dead after losing her legs and arm to sepsis reveals she had ‘lost her courage’ during lockdown
- Mum dies after going to hospital for surgery and 'catching Covid from patient'
- COVID-19 diagnosis 'rude awakening' for single mom
Florida coronavirus patient went from diagnosis to dying in her daughter's arms in a matter of days have 406 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 17, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.