It’s a cosmic question that has stumped humanity for generations: is there intelligent life beyond our planet?
There’s still no conclusive proof that aliens are actually out there, but new research says that our galaxy could be home to 36 civilizations on other planets.
The study says that if life can evolve on other Earth-like planets, three dozen “intelligent civilizations” could exist across the Milky Way. They should also be capable of broadcasting signals into space in the same way that humans do.
“The way we define it is something, an intelligence, which communicates through technology like radio waves, sending lasers into space, optical light going into space, like from our cities, that kind of thing,” said Christopher Conselice, a professor of astrophysics at the University of Nottingham and a co-author of the research paper, published in the Astrophysical Journal .
The findings hinge on a number of assumptions.
“The main calculation involves knowing how many stars in our galaxy could be old enough to host life,” Conselice said in an interview on Euronews Tonight.
“We know how life forms on Earth and our own solar system. We know how long it took. We know what kind of metallicity – that is the kind of metals we have. And if you look at what other stars in our galaxy have those properties, you’re able to come up with this number,” he explained.
So, why haven't we heard from any other life yet? That's a decades-old question, also known as the Fermi paradox.
Conselice suspects that it's because these types of communicating civilisations are “very rare” and their lifetimes not very long.
“So we just haven’t been able to detect them yet. And they haven’t been able to detect us because we’ve only been emitting light, like radio waves into the galaxy for about 100 years – and 100 light years is how far that could have traveled, but that’s not very far,” he said.
“It's just that they're so far away,” he added, predicting it would take “thousands of years” for radio emissions from Earth to reach them.
Watch highlights from the interview in the video player above.
- Gargantuan, never-before-seen radio bubbles discovered near Milky Way's supermassive black hole
- UK will need extra measures says scientist - as Sajid Javid warns they could return
- Aliens are AMONG US – and they could be in the fabric of the UNIVERSE
- Proof of ET? The 'network of alien beings living among us on Earth'
- Alien BREAKTHROUGH: Invisible aliens ‘exist among us on Earth’ - British astronaut
- 'ALIENS HERE ON EARTH' Claims extraterrestrials that 'look like humans' are among us
- Redditor's horrifying story about couple trying to talk their way into home goes viral
- TV Was an Alien World for Golshifteh Farahani. Then Came ‘Invasion.’
- Mysterious Covid-related illness baffles scientists as thousands of children fall sick
- The Scientist and the A.I.-Assisted, Remote-Control Killing Machine
- Cancer symptoms: Five easy ways to self examine your breasts at home
- 'It's sad and bloody stressful': Janice has terminal cancer and is at risk of spending her final days without a stable home
- Victims of Indonesia's 1965 communist killings tell UK to reveal truth about its role in genocide and anti-Chinese propaganda
- Manchester Arena bombing inquiry: Attacker's brother 'takes coward's way out' after leaving UK, victims' families say
- The truth about Sir David Tang, the 'billionaire socialite who went from riches to rags'
- Brian Laundrie may have faked his death and PLANTED his backpack to throw cops off tracks, ex prosecutor says
- La Palma volcano eruption: Thousands evacuated as homes destroyed - 'toxic gas' fears
- Why Lukas Radovich thinks Home and Away needs more LGBTQI+ storylines
- Brian Laundrie’s parents ‘resigned to protesters stalking them’ after Gabby’s death, says body language expert
- Strong Probability That Suspected Remains Found In Florida Park Are Brian Laundrie’s, Family Attorney Says
The truth is out there: The Milky Way could be home to 36 alien civilisations, say scientists have 634 words, post on www.euronews.com at June 16, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.