More than 15,000 smuggled cigars worth VNĐ4 billion (US$173,900) were seized in Hanoi, capital city police announced on Sunday.
|Hanoi police seizes more than 15,000 cigars which were allegedly smuggled from Europe. VNA/VNS Photo|
According to Hanoi Economic Police Division, the cigars in question were owned by local man Do Duc Phong and hidden in three separate locations across the city.
Phong admitted that he bought the cigars in a few European countries and hired flight attendants to bring them back to Vietnam.
He then advertised and sold the tobacco online via Facebook or Zalo, a popular local messaging app.
The man was arrested, and the police are expanding their investigation into the smuggling ring.
Also on Sunday, Dau Tieng District police in the southern province of Bình Dương said that they have seized 15,300 packs of foreign-branded cigarettes being smuggled into Vietnam.
Pham Van Huong, 52, was stopped at around 2am by officers, who later found 7,800 packs of Jet and Hero cigarettes in his car.
The police on the same day detained another two men, Vo Huu Manh, 59, and Nguyen Chi Thuan, 38, who were delivering 7,500 packs of 555, Cost, Hero and Jet cigarettes in their car.
All suspects failed to show receipts or documents proving the origin of the tobacco.
They admitted to having bought the cigarettes in question in Cambodia and planned to sell them in Vietnam. — VNS
The biggest cigarettes trafficking ring so far in the Central Highlands province of Gia Lai had been destroyed, provincial police said on Wednesday.
- Police bust multi-billion pound drug smuggling gang after 50 tonnes of product are brought into the UK
- HCMC: Police bust ring trafficking drugs from Cambodia
- Spanish police bust Vietnamese human trafficking ring that smuggled in 730 people
- What Hanoi has achieved after 10 years of boundary expansion?
- Major drug ring busted in Denmark
- Laotian men nabbed for smuggling 215,000 illegal pills into Vietnam
- Two Laotian nationals arrested in Quang Binh drug trafficking case
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 8
- There are big questions in Toronto about shootings and gun control. We’ve got answers
- Eleven arrested in US$130 million sports betting racket
Hanoi police bust VND4 billion cigar smuggling ring have 348 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at June 1, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.