The decoding of the genome was a sensation, although the announcement by Craig Venter on April 6, 2000, was somewhat premature. It actually took another year before the Human Genome Project (HGP), which was in competition with Venter, published its peer-reviewed research results in the scientific journal Science and Nature on February 15, 2001. Battle for first place The decoding of the genome was a race for scientific fame — between the HGP, which is government-funded by the US, and Venter with his private company Celera Genomics. The government researchers lagged somewhat behind Celera Genomics in their work. By April 2000, they had been able to decode only 54% of the human genome. The genome is made up of the genetic storage material deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). It contains all hereditary information of life. Nature’s blueprint is quite simple: All the important information is stored in a single long chain. However, the chain is so long that it is technically impossible to read it out at one go. And that was the great challenge for the scientists. Read more: Blood test detects more than 50 types of cancer Craig Venter 1998 in the laboratory of his company Celera Genomics. Venter invented the… Read full this story
- GMB viewers accuse Ben Shephard of 'cutting off' co-host Kate Garraway during their 'first row in 20 years' as they debate reclining seats on planes
- Kottiyoor rape case: Fr Robin sentenced to 20 years' rigorous imprisonment
- 'We needed to follow our own paths': Fern Britton speaks out on split from Phil Vickery after 20 years of marriage as star insists she's feeling 'confident, strong and indestructible'
- Mom and Grandmother Both Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison After Chaining Boy to Door
- A JetBlue Gate Agent Could Face 20 Years in Prison After Scamming the Airline out of $785K
- 'Nasty' Nick Bateman to spice up 20-year Big Brother anniversary special 'full of former favourites'
- Pyeongchang Winter Olympics to be the coldest for 20 years
- Man sentenced to 20 years for trafficking teen girls in Adams County
- Female boat captain faces 20 years jail in Italy for rescuing 1,000 migrants in the Med after she’s accused of helping smugglers
- Ferne McCann's ex-boyfriend Arthur Collins jailed for 20 years over acid attack
Craig Venter: 20 years of decoding the human genome have 356 words, post on www.dw.com at June 4, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.