For almost two months, religious groups have been unable to attend their normal places of worship, as mosques, churches, synagogues and temples remain shut under government coronavirus rules.Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick warned at Sunday’s No 10 briefing that “large gatherings in places of worship, particularly because of the demographic in some faiths, because of singing hymns and so on – which can lead to exhalation – can create particular problems.”And the government’s scientific advisers say some form of social distancing is likely to be in place for many months to come.So what is the future of religious worship in the UK with ongoing social distancing?’Deep spiritual sacrifice’As faith leaders consider a return to their religious buildings, some fear their returning communities will be traumatised by the ban on communal worship. “Emotionally we will be broken, without a shadow of a doubt,” says Sheikh Nuru Mohammed, one of the UK’s most senior imams, who is planning his return to the KSIMC Shi’ite mosque in Birmingham. Churches may not be back to normal by end of year How coronavirus is changing religious festivals Catholic? Protestant? NI takes communion online In many religious communities, there is a theological requirement that certain rituals are… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: Target reached as UK tests pass 100,000 a day
- Coronavirus: Boris Johnson says UK is past the peak of outbreak
- Tracker app suggests coronavirus was spreading in UK weeks before first case was spotted and claims we had already passed peak infection on April 1
- Coronavirus victims in the UK could be 'buried in mass graves' if death toll surges
- NHS coronavirus app could lift UK lockdown by tracing those in contact with infected
- State-backed hackers behind wave of cyberattacks targeting coronavirus response, US and UK warn
- Some protest house arrest of Central pastor, coronavirus restrictions on worship gatherings
- Coronavirus: 5 tests the UK will have to meet before relaxing lockdown
- Big insurers face fresh coronavirus claim threat from UK hospitality sector
- Have vaccine trials for coronavirus begun in the UK?
Coronavirus: What is the future of religious worship in the UK? have 339 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at June 1, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.