Researchers in China have discovered a new type of swine flu that could be capable of triggering a pandemic, according to a study published on Monday in the US science journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). Some experts say that the virus does not currently pose an imminent threat. The virus has become more infectious to humans and needs to be watched closely in case it becomes a potential “pandemic virus,” according to the authors, who include scientists at Chinese universities and China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention. From 2011 to 2018, researchers took 30,000 nasal swabs from pigs in slaughterhouses in 10 Chinese provinces and in a veterinary hospital, allowing them to isolate 179 swine flu viruses. Among those viruses, researchers found a “G4” strain of H1N1 that has “all the essential hallmarks of a candidate pandemic virus.” The researchers carried out various experiments, including on ferrets, which experience flu symptoms similar to humans. Read more: Coronavirus vaccine human tests show initial promise Watch video 01:06 Share China fears second wave of COVID-19 Send Facebook Twitter google+ Whatsapp Tumblr linkedin stumble Digg reddit Newsvine Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3dtsL Coronavirus latest: China fears second wave of COVID-19 Pig farmers… Read full this story
- Five New Bird Flu Outbreaks Reported at Farms in Taiwan
- The Labor Day gatherings health experts warned against during the coronavirus pandemic are popping up all over the US
- Just half a glass of wine or a small beer a day can lead to obesity, study warns
- India bans 118 Chinese apps in new backlash over border dispute
- 'Just a Photo Shoot!' Netizens Troll Chinese Troops For New Fire Drill Video
- New school year during pandemic brings new stresses for kids. Here's what parents should do, according to experts.
- Los Angeles County Coronavirus Update: Some Students Allowed To Return To School As Health Officials Warn Of Looming Flu-COVID “Twindemic”
- Chinese envoy warns pandemic could breed terror
- Napping for longer than one hour 'increases risk of early death by 30%', study warns
- Chinese researchers design new bioprinting method for gastric wounds
Chinese study warns new swine flu virus has 'pandemic' potential have 347 words, post on www.dw.com at June 30, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.