BILL Gates ripped United States leadership last week for “turning inward” during the coronavirus outbreak — as his wife, Melinda Gates, said Black people should be the first after first responders to get a COVID-19. Speaking at the first virtual Forbes 400 Summit on Philanthropy on June 18, Bill was critical of the US response to the pandemic and its poor contact-tracing efforts that would help contain the virus. “Usually the United States plays a role in global problem-solving, so rather than withdrawing from [the World Health Organization], they’d be involved, collaborating with other countries, not just trying to cast blame,” the Microsoft co-founder said. “It’s a tricky situation, where the US sort of turned inward on this one.” As of Thursday, the US reported more than 2.4million coronavirus cases and over 126,000 virus-related deaths — and many states are reporting surges in infection numbers. “We’re trying to stitch different country efforts together. The European leaders are trying to fill that vacuum,” Bill said, adding that inaction from US leaders “erodes the kind of relationship and admiration and self-confidence that people have had in us as a country.”Bill, 64, said he was optimistic about three coronavirus vaccine candidates — from… Read full this story
- The college debt crisis is even worse than you think
- Newsmakers of the Year 2007 and 2008
- Africa Update for August 27, 2015
- The last statesman: Can Jon Huntsman, Jr. keep the art of diplomacy alive in the time of President Trump?
- Jayne Dowle: Local elections – Do not overlook these vital cogs in our democracy
- ‘War and investigation:’ What President Trump said at his 2019 State of the Union address
- Transcript: Trump’s State of the Union
- What will win, and what should win, at the Oscars this Sunday
- Nation’s largest anti-abortion organization brings its annual convention to Kansas
- Marchers brave snow, cry for local control of KC police and shooting investigations
Bill Gates rips US for ‘turning inward’ during COVID crisis and Melinda says ‘Black people should get vaccine first’ have 304 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at June 26, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.