“The United Nations should have immediately considered the issue of US responsibility, holding its government accountable for the consequences [of the withdrawal] that are a clear violation of the UN Charter and international law”, the Iranian Foreign Ministry quoted the letter on the occasion of the US exit anniversary.
According to Zarif, the time has come for the UN Security Council to guarantee compliance of all parties.
In 2015, Iran signed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) with China, France, Germany, Russia, the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany, and the European Union. It required Iran to scale back its nuclear program and severely downgrade its uranium reserves in exchange for sanctions relief, including lifting the arms embargo five years after the deal’s adoption.
On 8 May 2018, the United States abandoned its conciliatory policy on Iran, withdrawing from the JCPOA and hitting Iranian petroleum industries with sanctions.
- Iranian Foreign Minister: Pompeo’s Demands for Nuclear Deal ‘Insulting’ and Illegal
- Lindsey Graham to Float Alternative to Iran Nuclear Deal
- John Kerry Admits to Meeting with Iran’s Former Minister to Save Nuclear Deal
- France urges Iran to reverse breach of nuclear deal
- NBC’s Arouzi Credits Nuclear Deal for Release of U.S. Sailors, But Here’s Where He Missed the Boat
- U.S. Sanctions Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif
- Netanyahu, In UN Speech, Claims Secret Iranian Nuclear Site
- I will stand up to Trump, vows Boris: Johnson says he will be 'robust' in dealing with the US President and claims ousted British ambassador has his 'full support' - despite failing to back him before resignation
- Bolton achieving 'life's work' by axing international deals
- Congress looks to horn in on Trump’s North Korea deal
- With the US-Russian Nuclear Treaty in Tatters, Is 'Doomsday' Ticking Closer?
- Republicans Deploy Grassroots Army to Defy History, Hold House Majority in November
- Britain urges Iran to free seized tanker
- UN chief 'deeply concerned' as US cancels nuclear summit with North Korea
- U.S. strikes deal to lift sanctions on China’s ZTE
- Why Trump's GOP critics never go nuclear
- North and South Korean Leaders Hold Surprise 2nd Summit
- The Genius Neuroscientist Who Might Hold the Key to True AI
- South Korean Urges Trump, North Korea to Take Advantage of Talks ‘No Matter What’
- Japanese Olympic chief to quit amid corruption allegations scandal
Zarif Urges UN to Hold US Accountable for Quitting Nuclear Deal have 390 words, post on sputniknews.com at May 9, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.