Prime Minister Boris Johnson tonight announced that the coronavirus is ‘only just’ under control, admitting its reproduction rate may be close to 1. The reproduction rate – known as the R – explains how many people the average COVID-19 patient passes the virus on to before they recover. It is used to measure how fast the disease is spreading. If it rises above 1, the numbers of cases will start to grow rapidly and the virus could spiral out of control. A rate of 0.5, for example, would mean every 10 infected people pass it on to only five others, while a rate of 1.2 would see them give it to 12. As Mr Johnson tonight revealed small changes to England’s lockdown rules, he made clear that the future of how the UK emerges from its crisis will hinge entirely on its R. In an address to the nation he said: ‘We have the R below one, between 0.5 and 0.9 – but potentially only just below one… ‘With ever increasing data, we will be monitoring the R and the number of new infections, and the progress we are making, and if we as a nation begin to fulfil the… Read full this story
- COVID-19: What is the science behind coronavirus and schools? Boris Johnson pushes back schools reopening
- Watch live as Boris Johnson gives press briefing after extending lockdown to March
- Boris Johnson's lockdown roadmap: Key dates pubs, schools and shops might reopen
- Fifteen ways Boris Johnson didn't 'do everything we could' to stop 100k Covid deaths
- Every care home resident in Britain has been offered Covid vaccine as Boris Johnson pledges to accelerate jab roll-out
- Boris Johnson ‘to unveil road map out of lockdown in mid-February’ as Britain on course to vaccinate 30million by March
- Boris Johnson 'to introduce limited hotel quarantine from 30 high-risk countries'
- Boris Johnson wants lockdown exercise rules relaxed but gyms and shops could stay shut until April
- Boris Johnson announcement: What did the PM say today, Wednesday, February 3?
- Boris Johnson warned EU vaccine blockade risked pensioners’ lives in ‘spicy’ seven-hour showdown
UK's crucial coronavirus R rate could be only JUST below one, Boris Johnson admits as he says UK is still on a knife edge and tougher restrictions will return if it rises have 329 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 10, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.