Swarms of locusts that fly up to 90 miles a day are threatening crops and food security in India as the country battles the coronavirus pandemic.Each swarm contains about 80 million adult locusts per square kilometre, and can eat as much food per day as 35,000 people.The current swarms comprise “very young locusts that fly for longer distances, at faster speeds”, KL Gurjar, deputy director of India’s Locust Warning Organisation, told The Hindu newspaper.This contrasts with “adults in the past who were sluggish and not so fast”, Dr Gurjar added.There is grave concern over the autumn crop of rice, lentils, vegetables, sugarcane and fruits, due to be sown early next month. Advertisement The coronavirus pandemic has already created food insecurity for millions of Indians and the locusts’ invasion will pile even more pressure on farmers and livestock.It is feared that the upcoming monsoon season will create favourable breeding grounds for the pests and they will multiply exponentially. More from India Coronavirus: Monkeys ‘escape with COVID-19 samples’ after attacking lab assistant Trump offers to help India and China as border dispute ‘rages’ Cyclone Amphan could be the result of falling pollution, climate scientist claims Super cyclone Amphan: India and Bangladesh brace… Read full this story
- Cambodian logistics providers predicted to face bankruptcy amid COVID-19
- Data | Tracking death rates helps gauge India's COVID-19 response better
- Data | How effective was India's COVID-19 lockdown compared to other countries?
- Gold funds underpin Covid-19 pandemic price rally as jewellers vanish
- NATO Steps In Amid Reports Of COVID-19 Hitting Afghan Forces
- ICMR says move to fast-track COVID-19 vaccine is in accordance with global norms
- COVID-19 wreaks havoc on Cambodia’s tourism industry
- Of going spiritual and recalibrating our response efforts to COVID-19
- Column: Boxing industry tries to recover from a strong uppercut delivered by COVID-19
- Assam’s Covid-19 tally crosses 11,000-mark with single biggest spike of 1,202 cases
Swarms of locusts threaten food security for millions in India amid COVID-19 pandemic have 316 words, post on news.sky.com at May 29, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.