With A-listers such as Scarlett Johansson, Will Smith and Steven Spielberg on its books, Creative Artists Agency (CAA) is a fixture of the Hollywood establishment, but its latest client is a little different. On 6 May, Variety revealed that CAA had signed up Miquela, a 19-year-old, Brazilian-American model, pop singer, influencer and self-described “change-seeking robot with the drip”. That’s right: Miquela isn’t an actual human. She is a virtual celeb, created in 2016 by a California tech startup named Brud. But her career is looking pretty real right now. According to Variety, CAA will work with Miquela in areas “including TV, film, and brand strategy and commercial endorsements, raising the prospect of a movie or show featuring the character”. So there’s a tip for all you struggling actors wondering where you have been going wrong: try not existing! From an industry perspective, virtual actors are an enticing prospect. They are literally totally malleable. They will never complain, they are always in prime condition and camera-ready (creepily, Miquela is for ever 19 years old). They will even work through an industry-stalling pandemic without complaint. And their salary demands are competitive. Miquela also brings along a fanbase. She has 2.2 million Instagram… Read full this story
- New reality: Why virtual worlds will be 'a very big thing for humanity'
- More schools offer full-time virtual programs. Do they work?
- Fair City star Aoibhean McCaul reveals most actors need to work a second job to make a living
- David Cameron said we must accept the new reality post-Brexit and make it work
- Relationships: virtual versus reality
- From Disney wild child to Hollywood’s hottest star, these are the highs and lows of Golden Globe winner Ryan Gosling
- 'Asylum Monologues' shows refugees' reality
- How flying hotels, virtual reality tours and space travel will all become normal holiday experiences
- What are Huntsman spiders, have they delayed I’m A Celebrity, do they bite, what size are they and can they kill humans?
- Tyler Perry gets star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
Reality bites: are virtual actors about to put Hollywood's humans out of work? have 335 words, post on www.theguardian.com at May 25, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.