A couple have spent lockdown alone in an 800-year-old castle set in a 350-acre estate with its own cinema, spa, tea boutique, wine tasting tunnels and 83 guest rooms. Laura Jamieson, 23, from Surrey, England and Michael Smith, 28, from Perthshire, Scotland are the only occupants at Ashford Castle, a five star-hotel surrounded by spectacular countryside, in county Mayo, western Ireland. The young couple – who met three years ago at the picturesque castle – usually live in a small village called Cross nearby and commute to work, but have been staying at the spectacular abode for the last nine weeks as custodians. They are maintaining the property in anticipation of tourists returning at some stage, with the business forced to close on Wednesday March 25 due to the coronavirus pandemic, as reported by The Guardian. Ms Jamieson told the newspaper: ’It’s been surreal. ‘We’ve been incredibly fortunate that we were able to have this experience. It’s the most amazing place.’ Laura Jamieson, 23, from Surrey, England (left) and Michael Smith, 28, from Perthshire, Scotland (right) are the only occupants at Ashford Castle, a five star-hotel surrounded by spectacular countryside, in county Mayo, western Ireland. Laura Jamieson, 23 and Michael Smith,… Read full this story
- Alandi prohibits 800-year-old custom to save tomb from ruin
- 62-year-old former Marine sets Guinness World Record by holding plank for over 8 hours
- Ending of 10-year-old ethics case sets ‘a new low standard’ for Louisiana public officials
- Bushfire bunker helps Kiah couple save their 130-year-old timber cottage
- 3-Year-Old Missing From Mission Viejo Home Found Safe
- Delaware State Police: 15-Year-Old Girl Shot, Killed Inside New Castle County Apartment
- Mother-of-two outraged after spending £12,700 on TUI 'holiday from hell' at 'shabby' four-star hotel in Jamaica that provided 'awful food, filthy conditions and a wardrobe that collapsed on her father'
- Heartbreaking moment van carrying six-year-old Faye Swetlik’s body is escorted by police motorcade after her autopsy 'to bring her home in dignity'
- No rest for the 93-year-old. With the royals in turmoil, Britain needs its Queen more than ever
- 'Cruel and pitiless' lesbian killers who Googled 'Can wives be in prison together?' are jailed for life for battering two-year-old Liam Fee to death – but they WON'T be in the same prison
Quarantined in a castle! Couple spend lockdown alone in 800-year-old five-star hotel set in 350-acre estate with own cinema, spa, tea boutique, wine tasting tunnels and 83 guest rooms have 368 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 26, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.