A young woman who feared she would never find love after she became paralysed has died two years after her dream wedding.
Alicia Willow-Clarke was left paraplegic after an tragic road accident as a toddler.
The 35-year-old had always longed for a traditional wedding and to settle down with her the perfect man following years of dating disasters, Wales Online reported.
Two years ago her dream came true when she married Kevin.
The 36-year-old told of the happiest two years of their lives before Alicia, who was paralysed from the neck down, tragically died from renal failure.
Kevin said: “I feel so lucky to have met Alicia and spent the short precious time I did with her. She made me smile each and every day,” Kevin said.
“I never saw her disability – I just saw a beautiful woman full of kindness and love.”
As a toddler she had wandered out of an open door from her family home in Canton, Cardiff, when she was hit by a car.
She suffered a broken neck and has been left needing around the clock care from two nurses.
Despite her physical difficulties, Alicia was determined to find love and decided to start online dating.
At the time Alicia said: “I dreamed of finding a partner. I wanted to fall in love and have someone love me, I longed for the big white wedding.
“I hadn’t had much luck on dates even though I was always upfront about my disability. It seemed to shock guys when I actually met them.”
Alicia finally met security worker Kevin on a dating website – and after two years of courting the blushing bride tied the knot at a lavish white wedding.
She said: “For the first time I’d met a man who was seeing the real me and not my disability.”
Alicia popped the question and used her mouth to put the engagement ring on Kevin’s finger.
The pair got married at St Mary’s Church in Cardiff in front of 80 friends and family.
Alicia made her way down the aisle in her motorised wheelchair.
She said: “It was the best moment of my life. I thought I would burst with happiness.
“Our wedding day was perfect. I love life with Kevin. We are so happy. The romantic in me never gave up.
“I know Kevin adores me for who I am and that makes me feel the luckiest woman in the world.
“I’m so proud to call him my husband and I’m looking forward to spending the rest of my life with him.”
But Alicia died suddenly at her home surrounded by her family on May 19 after suffering renal failure.
Heartbroken Kevin said: “Alicia told me from the start that she had a disability and was paralysed from the neck down but it didn’t matter at all.
“She had such a wicked personality and we just laughed so much. I guess it was kind of love at first sight.
“I loved Alicia so much and was proud to call her my wife.”
Alicia was plunged into a coma for eight months after the accident.
It wasn’t until she was five she was able to return home.
In spite of her disability she never gave up on love and finding her soulmate.
Kevin said: “She was the kindest person I have ever met andI know she was loved deeply by so many people.
“To me she was the most beautiful woman in the world and I will miss her lovely smile more than words can say.
“Her passion reflected her own life philosophy; she refused to allow her disability to constrain her. She focused on her ability not her disability.
“Everything was possible with Alicia – she learned to knit, paint and draw with her mouth. She was determined to live every moment and do all that she could.
“She never felt sorry for herself or bitter about the hand life had dealt her. She just embraced it.”
Kevin said: “She was only 36 years old but she packed so much joy into her life.
“Our wedding day in 2018 was the best day of our lives. Alicia looked beautiful in her wedding dress and she didn’t stop smiling all day and neither did I.
“I have wonderful memories of times we share and I will love her forever.”
- Give her a Christmas present she'll LOVE this year! We've got gifts for the women in your life all wrapped up - from a £15 scented candle to a £140 handbag
- A VERY fashionable pad! Marc Jacobs puts his NYC townhouse on the market for $16MILLION - less than two weeks after his dream wedding at new upstate mansion (and of course it has a HUGE walk-in closet)
- How to choose the perfect wedding stationery
- NFL star Devon Still dances with six-year-old daughter Leah at his wedding after the ceremony was put on hold for two years while she beat cancer
- Georgia O’Queef, meet Slutvomit: The year in band names 2013
- No lonely hearts here! Couples share their amazing love stories in a bid to be crowned Britain's most romantic - including childhood sweethearts and a wedding planner who fell for the best man
- Gumtree rapist who dragged a backpacker into a pig shed and shackled her to a dirty couch will 'lose his farm and be deported to the UK'
- Kate Wright reveals stepdaughter Tia told her she was the happiest she’d ever been as they shared emotional wedding morning together
- The Wedding Blues: Father-Daughter Stress
- How Startups Like Zola Are Changing The Wedding Industry (Or Not)
- Celebrity break ups and make ups of 2015: A year in the world of celeb couples
- 'I found out she was a stripper': People reveal why they called off their weddings - from realizing they weren't ready to settle down to discovering that their fiancee was on DRUGS
- How wedding photography helped one woman through the worst year of her life
- A message of hope amid horror of London Bridge attack: I pray this tragedy doesn't mean the dreams of these idealists die too, writes BEL MOONEY
- Bridal subscription box delivers wedding and hen party must-haves right to your door and it’s an ideal gift
- Woman faces a race against time to carry a baby for her sister and dying brother-in-law - after they failed to conceive for nine years before he was diagnosed with terminal cancer
- Heartbroken family of woman, 25, who went missing following a séance say they're holding onto hope that she's still alive after 'suspect' stockbroker ex-boyfriend was found dead in his home
- What killed the romcom? It was Love, Actually
- WEDDING DAZE
- Kate Wright chooses Rio Ferdinand’s daughter Tia, seven, to be her maid of honour at stunning wedding ceremony in Turkey
Paralysed woman afraid she'd never find love dies two years after dream wedding have 1123 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at May 26, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.