Early in the morning of May 9, 1945, SS Gruppenführer Otto Wächter awakes near the Austrian city of Graz, with a serious problem to resolve. A few hours earlier, Germany has signed the definitive act of military surrender. The war in Europe is over, the first VE Day was celebrated in London and Washington. Wächter makes a hasty last phone call to his wife Charlotte, who is with the children at the family home overlooking Lake Zell, in central Austria. Destroy my papers, he tells her, all of them. He then heads west in a chauffeur-driven car, hoping to join the remnants of the Waffen-SS division he created two years earlier in Lemberg, capital of Galicia in Nazi-occupied Poland, where he was governor. The car never gets there. Caught between a Soviet tank division, coming from the east, and the British, approaching from the west, he has to take an instant decision. He’s been indicted for the mass murder of Jews and Poles, and is hunted by the Allies, Soviets and Jews. It is a matter of life or death. Do I surrender to the British, or kill myself, or try to escape? Charlotte and Otto Wächter smile for a… Read full this story
- Hollywood, Aliens, And A Christmas Story - Modern Pop Culture Images Of Hungarians in the US
- The Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr
- How To Completely Rehab Your Home In 10 Days!
- Save A Life! Seven Ways To Stop Drug And Alcohol Abuse
- Interview With Fred Stopsky, Author of "Don Rumsfeld & Dick Cheney in Hell"
- Presenting - Ben Viccari - A Lifetime Dedicated to Multicultural Communications
- Prospector Sam - The Famous Tenderfoot Miner
- From Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves to Dictators, Gymnasts, and Orphans - Images of Romanians
- Hello From Nova Scotia - Enjoying Halifax' Harbourwalk and Pier 21-Canada's Immigration Museum
On the trail of the Nazi who killed EIGHTY of my family: Genocide expert PHILIPPE SANDS tells the astonishing story he uncovered about the SS general who spent years on the run have 301 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 13, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.