Iran is ready for a full prisoner exchange with the United States, Iranian government spokesman Ali Rabiei was quoted as saying by Khabaronline news website on Sunday, adding that Washington has yet to respond to Iran`s call on a prisoner swap.
“We are ready to exchange Iranian and American prisoners and we are prepared to discuss this issue but Americans have not responded yet,” Rabiei said, according to Khabaronline.
“We are worried about the safety and health of Iranians in jail … We hold America responsible for Iranians` safety amid the new coronavirus outbreak,” Khabaronline quoted Rabiei as saying.
In a rare act of cooperation between two longtime foes, the United States and Iran swapped prisoners in 2019 – American graduate student Xiyue Wang, detained for three years on spying charges, and imprisoned Iranian stem-cell researcher Massoud Soleimani, accused of sanction violations.
Tehran and Washington have grown more hostile towards each other since 2018 when President Donald Trump exited Iran`s 2015 nuclear deal with major powers and re-imposed sanctions on Tehran that has crippled its economy.
“There is no need for a third country to mediate between Iran and America for the prisoner exchange,” Rabiei said, according to Khabaronline.
Three Iranian officials told Reuters last week that a prisoner swap between the two countries is in the works. Michael White, a US navy veteran who has been detained in Iran since 2018, is a likely candidate to be swapped. He was released from prison in mid-March on medical furlough but remains in Iran.
The United States is set to deport Iranian professor Sirous Asgari, who was acquitted of stealing trade secrets, once he receives medical clearance to leave, US and Iranian officials said on Tuesday.
- Fact check: Coffman press release on Iran “ransom” payment is misleading
- Taliban ready to begin cease-fires in virus-hit Afghan areas
- Report: US hostage families seek better government support
- Iranian scientist claims to have invented drug for COVID-19 treatment
- The week that was: Stories from the coronavirus saga
- Syria's 'ISIS Hunters' Offer $1 Million for Russian Hostages
- Coronavirus: Up to fifth of UK workers 'could be off sick at same time'
- Coronavirus latest: France, Spain, UK record deadliest day
- Coronavirus latest: US death toll surpasses China’s
- Taliban Rejects Afghan Team for Peace Talks
- Coronavirus latest: More than 750,000 cases across the globe
- 4 things you need to know about Geneva II
- Coronavirus latest: Recession in Germany 'inevitable,' government advisers say
- Coronavirus latest: More than 200,000 infections in United States
- Coronavirus: Boris Johnson has coronavirus as Scott Morrison issues new quarantine rules for travellers
- Coronavirus live updates: California deaths top 200, total cases approach 10,000 in state
- Coronavirus live updates: Pray at home — about one-third of Sacramento County cases tied to churches
- Coronavirus live updates: CA sees 17% jump in ICU patients; China lying about cases, report says
- Coronavirus live updates: Oprah to donate $10 million
- Coronavirus in the Bay Area: The key events unfolding from March 21 to 22
Iran ready to swap prisoners with US without preconditions have 463 words, post on zeenews.india.com at May 10, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.