Professor Neil Ferguson was branded an ‘arrogant hypocrite’ today for catastrophically ‘undermining’ the government’s position by flouting the strict coronavirus social distancing rules he helped draw up to have secret trysts with his married lover. The shamed scientist, nicknamed ‘Professor Lockdown’ because he convinced Boris Johnson to order millions to stay at home, has sensationally quit his Government role on the influential SAGE committee – but his employer Imperial College London is standing by him. Professor Ferguson, 51, asked his mistress Antonia Staats, 38, to travel across London to his home at least twice despite lecturing 66million in Britain on the need to stay apart to stop the spread of the killer virus. The scandal broke last night and critics have said he ‘undermined the government’s lockdown message’ on one of the darkest days of the pandemic when the ONS said Britain’s death toll climbed to 32,375 people – the highest in Europe. In a resignation statement last night, the academic, who is married with a son but is believed to be separated from his wife, admitted he had ‘made an error of judgement’ but claimed he thought he was ‘immune’ to the illness – despite leading scientists and the World Health Organisation saying… Read full this story
- Professor Neil Ferguson warns UK faces another nationwide lockdown in the New Year if infection levels are not reduced 'substantially'
- Bungling Professor Neil Ferguson says Covid will turn Christmas Day into a ‘killer’ if families are allowed to mix
- Grim milestone as UK's Covid death toll tops 50,000 with 595 more victims in highest daily count since May as Boris warns figures are a reminder 'we're not out of the woods yet' - even though cases have DROPPED 9% in a week with 22,950 positive tests
- 'I had no alternative': Boris Johnson begs Tories to keep faith in his Covid strategy saying he must act to lower death toll despite huge revolt over lockdown Mark 2 - as he vows MPs will get a VETO on extending curbs beyond Dec 2
- China's president Xi Jinping warns of 'grave situation' as killer coronavirus accelerates, doctor dies and US evacuates its citizens from hotspot Wuhan after death toll jumps to 56 with 1,372 cases and 56 million on lockdown
- Testing chief admits mass-swabbing scheme in Liverpool will NOT spot every Covid-19 patient but CBI president hails the army-backed scheme as 'first true chink of light' to escape tough curbs
- Government scientific adviser warns not shutting schools could mean Britain faces an even longer second lockdown
- Emmanuel Macron could announce new nationwide French lockdown TODAY: President will address nation as 'out of control' virus causes 523 deaths in 24hrs - the most since April - and protests sweep Europe
- Michael Gove is forced to admit he got new rules on grassroots sport ban WRONG as he performs U-turn after claiming restrictions for golf and tennis would be 'fine-tuned'
- What's the truth about No10's gloomy Covid figures? Top advisers DROPPED their estimate on number of daily cases before lockdown announcement, official infections are barely rising and NHS had 40,000 spare beds at peak of pandemic
Government scientist Neil Ferguson, 51 - whose death toll projections sparked lockdown - QUITS after admitting he allowed married mistress, 38, to break stay-at-home rules to visit him for trysts have 498 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 5, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.