In lockdown, holidays seem like some kind of fantasy – so looking at a Slim Aarons photograph is sort of appropriate. Aarons has, after all, always been about armchair travelling. It never rains in his pictures. They are not of people grinning through the downpour staycations, or of hard-fought sweaty adventures. Instead, Aarons concentrated on the holiday where the weather is perfect, cocktails at 11am are the norm, and sunglasses are always massive. The kind of holiday we’re all dreaming of right now, really. Glamour hotspots like Capri, Palm Springs and Acapulco were on the Aarons’ itinerary while working from the fifties onwards. And while he did photograph celebrities like Gary Cooper, Babe Paley and Ursula Andress, the fame of his subjects are a moot point. Its his images of the jetset on holiday that endure. Think young, glamorous women with midriffs on display, accompanied by older men in sports jackets, and possibly a labrador, almost always next to – but rarely in – a pool. Aarons’ influence on the Instagram holiday aesthetic is huge. So much so that there was an argument to be made if you didn’t post a sub-Aarons sun-filled poolside shot during your fortnight off, you… Read full this story
- Art Direct Group show at Chichester's Oxmarket
- Fancy getting your art showcased at summer event in Swadlincote?
- Emilia Wickstead unveils summer-holiday collection at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week
- "DesteFashionCollection: 1 to 8" Displays Designer Garments as High Art
- Tribe of ‘fish people’ boast extra-big spleens for deep sea diving
- Spring Arts Preview in Western Mass
- Spring has barely sprung, but Hollywood says it’s already summer blockbuster season
- Museums must 'decolonize,' former Walker Art Center director argues in N.Y. Times
- Academy of Art University to Host 2018 Graduation Fashion Show and Awards Ceremony
- Here's Why the Next Arizona Budget Could Devastate the Arts
Dive in: how Slim Aarons art directed the poolside summer have 304 words, post on www.theguardian.com at May 26, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.