A troupe of overseas circus workers who became stranded in the UK due to the coronavirus lockdown are streaming their acts online.
The 25 Cuban nationals decided against flying home when the restrictions were enforced and are living in trailers parked in Morecambe, Lancashire.
Big Kid Circus asks for donations in return for the shows, which are published on their website.
The troupe said they were “determined the shows must go on”.
They are made up of 25 performers who tour from February to November as part of a circus residency with 10 other UK-based artists.
Their tour was due to start in Morecambe when events were cancelled across England in March.
After the cancellations, Morecambe Food Bank came to their aid with donated parcels.
The troupe said it wanted to “repay the kindness” so they deliver groceries weekly with the charity.
Circus manager Julia Kirilova, 23, said the group “just want to be useful”.
“We immediately offered our performers flights home when lockdown happened but they wanted to stay,” she said.
“We always look for ways to keep going. We are a family.”
People have to pay to watch shows which are broadcast on the website Circus Online, and the group also perform live on Facebook.
Maikel Mota Martinez, 31, from Havana, decided to stay with the circus to perform his roller skate act with his partner.
“The energy we receive from an audience is something you can not get from anywhere else, the adrenaline is like no other,” he said.
“Although we can not see a live audience, creating the website gave us opportunity for us to demonstrate what we can do.”
Related Internet Links
- Coronavirus: UK health workers begin trial of controversial hydroxychloroquine taken by Trump
- What jobs in Baton Rouge are most at risk for coronavirus? See results of local Ochsner study
- Coronavirus patients shamed and harassed in Nepal
- Pandemic: Bay Area COVID Front Line Health Care Workers Anxiously Await Vaccine’s Arrival
- Biden faces fight with Congress for more coronavirus relief
- EMT Gives CPR To Suspected Coronavirus Patient On LAX-Bound Flight, Now Feeling Symptoms
- COVID In New Jersey: South Jersey Health Care Workers ‘Delighted To Be Making History’ Taking Pfizer Vaccine
- British testers find just THREE Covid cases among 2,364 drivers stuck at Dover: Thousands of stranded truckers head for home amid questions about 'unreliable' lateral flow tests used as 6,000 truckers remain stranded
- 'I had to tell my pregnant wife and daughters I won't be home': Thousands of lorry drivers stranded in Kent face Christmas heartbreak as testing stops overnight - amid clashes with police and fears of food shortages
- German ambassador gets stranded in mayhem while on mercy mission to lorry drivers trapped at Manston airfield - as Sikh charity that fed 4,000 truckers in makeshift camp appeals for food parcels
- The families missing their stranded lorry driver fathers this Christmas: Romanian, Hungarian and Slovenian truckers tell of heartbreak at being split from loved ones while facing a lonely December 25 in their cab
- Christmas delivery! Villagers help stranded truck drivers stuck on the M20 in Kent by lowering food parcels containing beans, fruit and sweets from motorway bridge
- Now lorry drivers stranded in Kent are slapped with parking tickets as M20 closes for the night - with one fed-up trucker wiping out a car and another continually blasting his horn when he's unable to leave the UK
- COVID: Blocking Thousands of Lorries at UK Border 'Caused Carnage,' Stranded Truckers Say
- Rita Ora 'could be STRANDED in Bulgaria for Christmas as all UK flights are suspended... after jetting abroad following lockdown-flouting bash'
- South Africa coronavirus strain: What we know about new Covid variant that's hit UK
- Dover traffic chaos gets WORSE as 6,000 lorries still stranded and more arriving as gridlock continues on Christmas Eve
- Army move in to Covid test 6,000 stranded lorry drivers as France reopens borders today
- Coronavirus digest: Mutated COVID variant reaches France, Spain and Sweden
- Coronavirus RECAP: London moving to Tier 3 after outbreak of fast-spreading strain
Coronavirus: Stranded circus workers 'determined' to perform have 749 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at May 1, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.