The World Health Organization says the globe will soon hit five million infections Only 1% of Danes have contracted COVID-19, putting the country at risk of a new outbreak Germany’s foreign minister believes anti-lockdown protesters are vulnerable to radicalization Updates in Universal Coordinated Time (UTC/GMT) 01:15 Bolivia’s health minister has been arrested and fired over suspicions of corruption related to the purchase of ventilators to use in the fight against the coronavirus. Former Health Minister Marcelo Navajas was detained on Wednesday in La Paz after interim President Jeanine Anez ordered an investigation into the questionable purchase, the police confirmed. Bolivia recently bought 179 ventilators costing $27,683 (€25,244) each from a manufacturer in Spain, with a total cost of nearly $5 million. The purchase was funded by the Inter-American Development Bank. It was later revealed that the manufacturer had also offered ventilators for around half that price, between €9,500 and €11,000 per unit. Another Spanish company acted as an intermediary. On Twitter, Anez said that Bolivia had already paid over $2 million for the ventilators but “will not pay one more cent” and that she was committed to “recovering the money of Bolivians.” The scandal was uncovered last week when intensive care doctors said… Read full this story
- Who is Salman Khan, has he been jailed, what was the Blackbuck poaching case and what’s his net worth?
- Why millions of football fans see the World Cup like this
- Who is Salman Khan, what was the Black Buck poaching case and when was the Bollywood star convicted?
- Who is Salman Khan, why was he jailed, what was the Black Buck poaching case and what’s his net worth?
- HNA to Sell Property Assets for $456 Million in Latest Disposal
- FDA approves first drug to treat smallpox, in case of terror attack
- Good dam design can cut the number of cases of malaria in surrounding areas
- Boy George his bringing his latest tour to Hull!
- Polio re-emerges in Venezuela, nearly 30 years after eradication
- Helsinki ranked fifth worldwide in terms of smart city governance
Coronavirus latest: Nearly 5 million cases worldwide have 329 words, post on www.dw.com at May 21, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.