Chinese leaders “intentionally concealed the severity” of the pandemic from the world in early January, according to a four-page Department of Homeland Security intelligence report dated May 1 and obtained by The Associated Press. The revelation comes as the Trump administration has intensified its criticism of China, with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo saying Sunday that that country was responsible for the spread of disease and must be held accountable. The sharper rhetoric coincides with administration critics saying the government’s response to the virus was slow and inadequate. Donald Trump’s political opponents have accused him of lashing out at China in an attempt to deflect criticism at home. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)Source:AP President Donald Trump’s political opponents have accused him of lashing out at China, a geopolitical foe but critical US trade partner, in an attempt to deflect criticism at home. Not classified but marked “for official use only,” the DHS analysis states that, while downplaying the severity of the coronavirus, China increased imports and decreased exports of medical supplies. It attempted to cover up doing so by “denying there were export restrictions and obfuscating and delaying provision of its trade data,” the analysis states. The report also says China held… Read full this story
- Factory explosion in China kills 68, severely burns nearly 200 others
- As China pulls trade from North Korea, Russia gets cozy with Kim Jong Un
- Flu season: What to know about the (sometimes) deadly virus
- China buzzes Navy plane over South China Sea
- Krauthammer on China Tensions: Obama Admin Has 'Shown it Doesn't Stand Up'
- Firefighter pulled from blast zone in China’s Tianjin port; several others remain missing
- Chemist who supplied PEDs to Biogenesis clinic that were sold to Alex Rodriguez, others gets 18-month prison sentence
- Need to file a hurricane-related insurance claim? Follow this checklist for getting help fast
- Volkswagen to recall 1,950 cars in China
- Cincinnati man bilked 200G by claiming stripper business credit card charges were for clowns
Coronavirus: China hid virus’ severity to hoard supplies, US claims have 327 words, post on www.news.com.au at May 5, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.